Setup options, keep Unraid server and HTPC or combine and use one?

jazzy192

Hello,

I just posted about using my Nvidia 1060 6GB for transcoding stuff in Plex but was recommended to stick with the onboard Intel GPU (Quicksync). I'm fine with that but then it brings me to another question now regarding not HTPC. Nvidia Streaming to my Nvidia Shields is the house. Let me explain...

So my sitting room is next to my garage. I have CAT6a all over the house thankfully and ceiling speakers in most rooms through my Control4 matrix including Atmos in the sitting room as I have a Marantz NR1711 7.1 (a total of 4 ceiling speakers in there).

I intended to use my Unraid server in the rack for streaming Plex, Homebridge, Downloading etc. I also wanted to have a windows 10 or 11 VM (I have 10 installed on my Unraid server currently, not used it in a while due to illness). I need the VM as I have a Macbook Pro M1 and I need to use some windows programs so I use Parsec of Moonlight for it. One program I need to use quite a lot is my Control4 Composer Pro (editing my C4 setup, adding devices, automation etc) so I remote into the VM using my Macbook Pro M1 and it is so good it's like having full windows on your mac like BootCamp. I also use the LG Ultrafine Mac-orientated display so I normally have windows on one screen and macOS on the other.

This brings me to my living room HTPC, it's way more powerful than the server as it has the following:

• Intel i7-10700K
  • Water cooled CPU (not a full water system, just does the CPU)
  • Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master Motherboard
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB x 2
  • NZXT Case with loads of airflow

Well I was thinking, is it worth putting the HTPC parts in the Unraid server?:

• Intel i5-8400 >>> Intel i7-10700K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Pro Motherboard >>> Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master Motherboard
  • 32GB DDR4 Ram >>> would upgrade to 64GB Ram
  • Nivida 1060 6GB >>> Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti (For Windows VM)
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB >>> Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB x 2 (For Windows VM)
  • 8 x 8TB Western Digital HD (Array)
  • Samsung SSD 860 Evo 500GB (Cache)
  • HP 2 port 10GB NIC (connects to my Unifi US-16-XG)
  • PCI 4 Port USB card (For Windows VM)

Then I was thinking of just using the Intel GPU for Plex etc and then using a VM of Windows 10 or 11 for when I want to game. How much of a performance hit would I have compared to bare metal?

It wouldn't be that hard to do as I would but all the HTPC parts in the current Unraid server case and sell the old current Unraid server parts. I have most of the parts like a 10-meter optical HDMI cable (easily long enough) and a USB extender. So I could have a nice wall socket (with HDMI, ethernet, USB) hidden behind the wall-mounted 75" OLED LG TV.

By selling the current Unraid server parts I could possibly upgrade the Intel i7-10700K and Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master to the newer generation?

Opinions on going VM over bare metal and just having the one machine?