USB 2.0 Header To USB 2.0 Type A Board?

OrneryTaurus

My forum search fu seems to escape me today.

I'm about to upgrade my hardware and noticed the new motherboard only has a USB 3.0 port instead of a USB 2.0 port like the previous one.

I have a USB 2.0 header I can plug in to, and was wondering if someone has done something similar. I'd like to avoid plugging in to this header using a cable if possible.

I see Amazon has this: https://www.amazon.com/Cablecc-Motherboard-Female-Adapter-Vertical/dp/B07YD444GC/ which is what I would be going for (only need a single port though). I was wondering if someone is already using something similar without issues that they can recommend.

Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, OrneryTaurus said:

the new motherboard only has a USB 3.0 port instead of a USB 2.0 port

It is not an absolute requirement that you have to use a USB 2.0 port with a USB 2.0 flash device.   However, it is often recommended depending on how well USB 3.0 is implemented on your motherboard.

My current main server motherboard only has USB 3.0 external ports so I used an adapter that plugs into the onboard USB 2.0 header and gives me 2 USB 2.0 ports on the back panel.  What I linked is a 4-port version but I have something similar for 2 USB 2.0 ports.  This DOES NOT occupy a PCIe slot.  It works great.  I imagine what you linked would work equally well but I have no experience with that device.

On my backup unRAID server, I have a USB 3.0 flash drive plugged into a USB 3.0 port and have never had an issue with it disconnecting or being problematic.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

It is not an absolute requirement that you have to use a USB 2.0 port with a USB 2.0 flash device.   However, it is often recommended depending on how well USB 3.0 is implemented on your motherboard.

My current main server motherboard only has USB 3.0 external ports so I used an adapter that plugs into the onboard USB 2.0 header and gives me 2 USB 2.0 ports on the back panel.  What I linked is a 4-port version but I have something similar for 2 USB 2.0 ports.  This DOES NOT occupy a PCIe slot.  It works great.  I imagine what you linked would work equally well but I have no experience with that device.

On my backup unRAID server, I have a USB 3.0 flash drive plugged into a USB 3.0 port and have never had an issue with it disconnecting or being problematic.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm upgrading to a Supermicro X10DRi-T, I'll give the USB 3.0 plug a shot. If the USB doesn't like it, I'll look into something like this!

5 minutes ago, SirReal63 said:

I used it to keep from having a USB hanging out the back of the server, it made it just a little more compact.

And since I have plenty of room behind the server and wanted to avoid the need to open the case to get at the Unraid flash drive,  I went with a USB adapter that provided ports on the back.  

Fortunately, there are both options depending on needs.

• Like 2

I used to use the very same on @Hoopster suggested except mine only supported two connections. I stripped off the bracket and kept it all inside the case. 

Oddly my new board has a direct USB on the motherboard so I just plugged directly in. 

Having the USB inside the case IMHO is so much safer and you don't have to worry about breaking it or it ever being touched. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, SirReal63 said:

I have been using this one for almost 2 years now, it has been rock solid.  The one you linked should also work just as well.  I used it to keep from having a USB hanging out the back of the server, it made it just a little more compact.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YFXH5K9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! I like having my USB internally as well. Just prepping for potential issues with the internal USB 3.0 plug lol

Update: No issues with the USB 3.0 port on the motherboard so far! - 08/18/2022

Edited by OrneryTaurus
4 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

I use basically the same thing, instead it is a cable from the internal USB 2.0 header to female USB Type A.  I like the cable better, as it gives me some clearance from the motherboard.  I keep the boot flash inside my case and just tie wrap the cable out of the way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015F6QXKO/

Interesting! I'll definitely consider this. I think my case might have something I can tie down to.