Millions of Sync errors corrected

Ctek

44 minutes ago, Ctek said:

Please let me know if there is anything wrong with this planned setup. 

No personal experience with your proposed combo, but this thread seems to indicate you should be good to go.

The OP used a different card and disk shelf, but others chimed in on the thread, some with plain LSI cards and the model you posted, so it looks good to me.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89444-how-to-configure-a-netapp-ds4243-shelf-in-unraid/?do=findComment&comment=845904

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

No personal experience with your proposed combo, but this thread seems to indicate you should be good to go.

The OP used a different card and disk shelf, but others chimed in on the thread, some with plain LSI cards and the model you posted, so it looks good to me.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89444-how-to-configure-a-netapp-ds4243-shelf-in-unraid/?do=findComment&comment=845904

THANK YOU Again!

Sorry, I have 2 more question: 

Planning on taking ALL 23 hdd's (except cache) drives off SATA/Enclosure/USB and stick them in this shelf. 

So the Parity drive will be in the shelf instead of SATA.

Wanted to make sure this makes sense and gives me the best transfer speed possible?

Also, will I have trouble with the 5 drives labeled JMicron?  Is there something I need to run before I move those drives? 

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks again for your guidance and advice!

Looking forward to the shelf install next week :)

Edited by Ctek

Never used a NetApp shelf, but I believe they are single link, if so better performance would be with as many disks as possible in the current case, this would affect mostly parity checks and rebuilds, unless you use turbo write.

20 minutes ago, Ctek said:

Also, will I have trouble with the 5 drives labeled JMicron? 

You'll need to do a new config for Unraid to accept the name change.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Never used a NetApp shelf, but I believe they are single link, if so better performance would be with as many disks as possible in the current case, this would affect mostly parity checks and rebuilds, unless you use turbo write.

You'll need to do a new config for Unraid to accept the name change.

Gotcha, so leave the drives connected to the SATA controller in PC case and just move over USB stuff to the shelf.

THANK YOU!

• 2 weeks later...

Shelf installed and I have 12 drives installed and 11 drives going to a SATA controller or mobo sata. 

I have everything off (dockers/smb/vms) and I wanted to make sure I have everything setup for the fastest rebuild speed.

I noticed the speeds are jumping and I see red errors in the log like:  kernel: ata4.01: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen.

I've attached the diag file, please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

PXL_20220827_210352392.jpg

oohwee-diagnostics-20220828-2138.zip

4 hours ago, Ctek said:

kernel: ata4.01: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen.

Those are from the SATA port multiplier connected to disks 1, 2 and 12, that Marvell controller uses one for some of the ports, leave disk2 there for now and move disks 1 and 12 to the enclosure, ideally you'd replace that controller with a recommended non Marvell one, or just move all those drives to the enclosure, but performance might not be the best.

• Like 1