2x 4TB HDD, 2x 1TB SSD, 1x250GB M.2 - CONFIGURATION

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi,

I can't figure out, what would be the best setup for these drives:

2x 4TB HDD

2x 1TB SSD

250 or 500GB NVM M.2

I hope you can advise me.

Initially, I wanted to have one 4TB HDD mirroring the other 4TB HDD, one 1TB SSD mirroring the other 1TB SSD and an extra cache pool from a smaller m.2 drive. Effectively I would have a 5TB capacity. 4TB slow and 1TB fast.

Since I am not sure if Unraid allows for such dual parity, I can't figure out what would be the best setup.

I want to create a few shares and use the server for:
Storing source files library.

Storing workstation drive backup.

Running VMs.

Running project Git/Perforce repository.

Alternatively was thinking about just making a RAID1 cache pool out of this 2x1 TB SSD.

As a result, the total capacity would be not 5TB, but 4TB, but on the positive side, all the applications would run at the write speed of the SSDs.
On the downside, the read speed of everything would be brought down to the HDDs read speed.
Then capped by network connection anyway.

This also makes me wonder if Unraid can sum up the size/capacity of two or more drives used for parity.
Imagine having 6x2TB drives. To have redundancy on everything, we would have to use three 2TB drives for parity. or would we be forced to buy single 6TB drive?

What do you think? Appreciate more suggestions.

Edited by Digital Shamans
16 minutes ago, Digital Shamans said:

Imagine having 6x2TB drives. To have redundancy on everything, we would have to use three 2TB drives for parity. or would we be forced to buy single 6TB drive?

That is not how parity for the main array works - you may find it useful to read this section of the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI.