5.0 Upgrade and New Permissions Utility

Is it possible to run the New Permissions utility prior to upgrading to the 5.0 beta?  I am currently on 4.6, but will move to 4.7 in the next few days before moving to 5.0.

Ideally I would like to run the New Permissions Utility one drive at a time as some of the drives have a lot of files and I'm sure it will take a while to run.  i.e. run it on one drive each night until I get through all of them.  Is this possible?

Is there a command or script I can use to run this or does it need to be done through the 5.0 web interface?

I would like to know this also.  I have 2,000,000+ files on this unRAID server (company offsite backup).  I tried upgrading to 5.0 from 4.7 and could not access any of my data folders.  Some were saying I needed Login/Password (my shared folders) and some were saying they did not exist (my Disk1, Disk2, Disk3....ect).  I tried running the permissions 3 times and it looks like it hangs up on my first drive and then stops.  There is activity on my first drive, so I just leave it......and then a few hours later there is no activity and I can still not access the files.  So I downgraded back to 4.7 again and back up and running, because I would like the >2TB support.  What do you guys think is the problem?  Or like ftp222 said, is there a way to "Pre-Permission" these or some other way about this?

Did you do this step mentioned in the release notes:

2. If you are upgrading 'on-line', Stop the array and then delete these two files from the flash:

config/passwd

config/smbpasswd

(Sorry, you will need to re-create all your users after booting 5.0-beta).

3. Reboot the server.  When server has booted, after examining snazzy new webGui, navigate to the 'Utils' tab and select "New Permissions".  This is a one-time operation to fix the file and directory permissions.

Did you do this step mentioned in the release notes:

2. If you are upgrading 'on-line', Stop the array and then delete these two files from the flash:

config/passwd

config/smbpasswd

(Sorry, you will need to re-create all your users after booting 5.0-beta).

3. Reboot the server.  When server has booted, after examining snazzy new webGui, navigate to the 'Utils' tab and select "New Permissions".  This is a one-time operation to fix the file and directory permissions.

Yeah, I saw that step, but I did not have passwd or smbpasswd in my config folder (I pulled the USB drive out and upgraded on another computer).  And it was the "New Permissions" function that would hang up on the first drive.

Still looking for an answer to my questions in the original thread.  I'm hoping an expert can chime in.

I just upgraded my backup system to 4.7 and cleared 2 HPA drive errors I knew I would have, so I am ready to start testing the 5.0b7 series.

Still looking for an answer to my questions in the original thread.  I'm hoping an expert can chime in.

I just upgraded my backup system to 4.7 and cleared 2 HPA drive errors I knew I would have, so I am ready to start testing the 5.0b7 series.

I know it can be done.  The script that runs is at /usr/local/sbin/newperms.  If you cat /usr/local/sbin/newperms you can see what is in the file.  Just take from there what you need and run it on a disk by disk basis.

Is it possible to run the New Permissions utility prior to upgrading to the 5.0 beta?  I am currently on 4.6, but will move to 4.7 in the next few days before moving to 5.0.

Ideally I would like to run the New Permissions Utility one drive at a time as some of the drives have a lot of files and I'm sure it will take a while to run.  i.e. run it on one drive each night until I get through all of them.  Is this possible?

Is there a command or script I can use to run this or does it need to be done through the 5.0 web interface?

It is a shell script that is invoked, so you can invoke it as you desire and modify it to do one disk at a time. (which is what it does anyway)

It is in /usr/local/sbin/newperms

The comment at the top says:

# Usage: newperms [dir] [owner] [group]

# Recursively changes the ownership and permissions of the directory and all files/subdirs

# within the directory.

# If no arguments given, operates on /mnt/cache and /mnt/disk*, setting owner:group to nobody:users

# default owner is 'nobody', default group is 'users'

To run it on one disk type:

newperms /mnt/disk1

Joe L.

It is a shell script that is invoked, so you can invoke it as you desire and modify it to do one disk at a time. (which is what it does anyway)

It is in /usr/local/sbin/newperms

The comment at the top says:

# Usage: newperms [dir] [owner] [group]

# Recursively changes the ownership and permissions of the directory and all files/subdirs

# within the directory.

# If no arguments given, operates on /mnt/cache and /mnt/disk*, setting owner:group to nobody:users

# default owner is 'nobody', default group is 'users'

To run it on one disk type:

newperms /mnt/disk1

Joe L.

Great, thank you Joe.  Can this be run prior to upgrading to the 5.0 series?

I suppose a follow-up question is, if this is run prior to a 5.0 upgrade and files continue to be written to a 4.7 system, will the script have to be run again (specifically against those new files)?

Great, thank you Joe.  Can this be run prior to upgrading to the 5.0 series?

the newperms script is only included in 5.0bX stuff so running it prior to upgrading would be pointless in my opinion.  Not to mention you would need to take it from a 5.0bx system and put it onto a 4.7 system.  I am not even sure what would have if you tried to do that.  My suggestion is to not try it that way.

I suppose a follow-up question is, if this is run prior to a 5.0 upgrade and files continue to be written to a 4.7 system, will the script have to be run again (specifically against those new files)?

see above, do not do it that way.  Just upgrade and then run the perms script.

A few people have gone back and I believe 4.7 accesses the files as user root who should still have access even after changing the permissions meaning I doubt you'd have an issue with 4.7 after running the script. However, If you write any files at all then you will likely have to do it again anyways to correct those.

Peter