CP1500PFCLCD CyberPower UPS successful - Confirmed now

For those wanting APC alternatives, if for nothing else but price.

I'm running a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD on my unRAID (in my signature) with great success.  It keeps my server afloat for 50 minutes (server idle, no parity checks, no reading or writing to) after power loss.

It also did a clear powerdown, regardless that that was wrecked by my idiocy.  Short novel to ensue: I had planned to run a parity check at the 36 day mark to Level 2 certify the motherboard I use today.  I felt "ballsy" a bit, so I decided to go ahead and test the UPS, semi-worst case scenario is that it doesn't do a clean powerdown, thus I would have to run a parity check after I start the server back up.. something I want/need to do anyway.  So, I proceeded to unplug the UPS.. warning indicator beeps from the UPS, LCD status display showing remaining minutes, etc.  everything was running smoothly thusfar.  Proper log made in the syslog that I had lost mains power and the UPS had taken over, good deal.  Well this is my config for the apcupsd package:

Use Serial Port?(YES/NO/network_master:port):	 NO
Cable Type:(smart/usb/dumb/ether):   smart
Battery Level:	10
Minutes Remaining:	5
Total Seconds Outage:	300
Power Down UPS after shutdown?(YES/NO):	YES

So, I go for an extended coffee/smoke break, return, the server is off.  Good deal, maybe I says... I turn on the server, excellent, a clean proper shutdown, array is up humming along.. awesome.  No tweaks needed with the apcupsd package to get my CyberPower to work (it is connected via USB for those interested, I'm using "smart" because it was my first selection in the testing process -- and it works so I intend not to fix what is not broken).  Great... so I plugged the UPS back in considering my test a success.

One problem though.  So I'm piddling around a little here and there on the other computer, while the server just sits with its array still up just idling.. when all of a sudden, I hear quiet.. "errm..." I says.. keep in mind I'm running the Norco 4224 with stock fans.. it being a warm day today, I have the fans at full speed.  So, right there thats two 65db fans that stopped running.. thus the quiet.  "Oh hell.." I think...

Wondering what just happened, I also recalled (brain was slow to process it I suppose) hearing a beep from the UPS.  What does it show.. 2 minutes.  Evidently, it will turn off the AC inversion portion of it when there is around 3 minutes battery power left to avoid a possible "brown out" situation.. THAT shouldn't have been an issue..

So I turn on the server, pretty sure I knew what it would want to do upon post and loading unraid/slackware.. yeyeppp.. Parity check.

Turns out, the last setting  "Power Down UPS after shutdown?(YES/NO):" I suppose doesn't work quite the same for the CyberPower as it does for an APC.  That or I simply don't understand why such a setting would exist.  My guess is though, on APC's setting this to YES will shut it down entirely.. AC inversion, battery charging, etc, etc. on my CyberPower however, it shuts down the "power" (as in power switch on the UPS) so that even if it is receiving mains power (in my case by being plugged BACK in, in it's normal case, electricity being available again) it is NOT charging the battery and it is STILL running off battery.

My guess is this option may replicate pressing the power button on an APC.  If that is the case, then us CyberPower users need to figure out how to have apcupsd pass TWO power button "presses" if this option is set to "YES" or, simply use "NO."

First power press on the CyberPower will turn off "BIAS" power (thus switching to battery AC inversion) and stop battery charging.  Pressing a second time turns it off completely, no bias powering, no battery AC inversion, no battery charging, do not pass Go, do not collect $200... off.

I'm still pleased with the unit, considering how long it will run the server.. now that this has served as a friendly reminder to tweak my settings of the apcupsd package, I'm going to make use of it's 30-50 minute charge just a bit more I think.  And I'm going to change the "Power Down UPS after shutdown?(YES/NO):" to "NO".

Alright, this particular model works right out of the box with a now fully confirmed clean powerdown (using the clean powerdown package - "powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz") beautifully.

Power outage, 10 hours.. fun fun.  At least the generator got to see some use.

ups_setttings.jpg.b6f25b603b97e6a961a818bd90178cdd.jpg

• 3 years later...

For those wanting APC alternatives, if for nothing else but price.

I'm running a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD on my unRAID (in my signature) with great success.  It keeps my server afloat for 50 minutes (server idle, no parity checks, no reading or writing to) after power loss.

It also did a clear powerdown, regardless that that was wrecked by my idiocy.  Short novel to ensue: I had planned to run a parity check at the 36 day mark to Level 2 certify the motherboard I use today.  I felt "ballsy" a bit, so I decided to go ahead and test the UPS, semi-worst case scenario is that it doesn't do a clean powerdown, thus I would have to run a parity check after I start the server back up.. something I want/need to do anyway.  So, I proceeded to unplug the UPS.. warning indicator beeps from the UPS, LCD status display showing remaining minutes, etc.  everything was running smoothly thusfar.  Proper log made in the syslog that I had lost mains power and the UPS had taken over, good deal.  Well this is my config for the apcupsd package:

Use Serial Port?(YES/NO/network_master:port):	 NO
Cable Type:(smart/usb/dumb/ether):   smart
Battery Level:	10
Minutes Remaining:	5
Total Seconds Outage:	300
Power Down UPS after shutdown?(YES/NO):	YES

So, I go for an extended coffee/smoke break, return, the server is off.  Good deal, maybe I says... I turn on the server, excellent, a clean proper shutdown, array is up humming along.. awesome.  No tweaks needed with the apcupsd package to get my CyberPower to work (it is connected via USB for those interested, I'm using "smart" because it was my first selection in the testing process -- and it works so I intend not to fix what is not broken).  Great... so I plugged the UPS back in considering my test a success.

One problem though.  So I'm piddling around a little here and there on the other computer, while the server just sits with its array still up just idling.. when all of a sudden, I hear quiet.. "errm..." I says.. keep in mind I'm running the Norco 4224 with stock fans.. it being a warm day today, I have the fans at full speed.  So, right there thats two 65db fans that stopped running.. thus the quiet.  "Oh hell.." I think...

Wondering what just happened, I also recalled (brain was slow to process it I suppose) hearing a beep from the UPS.  What does it show.. 2 minutes.  Evidently, it will turn off the AC inversion portion of it when there is around 3 minutes battery power left to avoid a possible "brown out" situation.. THAT shouldn't have been an issue..

So I turn on the server, pretty sure I knew what it would want to do upon post and loading unraid/slackware.. yeyeppp.. Parity check.

Turns out, the last setting  "Power Down UPS after shutdown?(YES/NO):" I suppose doesn't work quite the same for the CyberPower as it does for an APC.  That or I simply don't understand why such a setting would exist.  My guess is though, on APC's setting this to YES will shut it down entirely.. AC inversion, battery charging, etc, etc. on my CyberPower however, it shuts down the "power" (as in power switch on the UPS) so that even if it is receiving mains power (in my case by being plugged BACK in, in it's normal case, electricity being available again) it is NOT charging the battery and it is STILL running off battery.

My guess is this option may replicate pressing the power button on an APC.  If that is the case, then us CyberPower users need to figure out how to have apcupsd pass TWO power button "presses" if this option is set to "YES" or, simply use "NO."

First power press on the CyberPower will turn off "BIAS" power (thus switching to battery AC inversion) and stop battery charging.  Pressing a second time turns it off completely, no bias powering, no battery AC inversion, no battery charging, do not pass Go, do not collect $200... off.

I'm still pleased with the unit, considering how long it will run the server.. now that this has served as a friendly reminder to tweak my settings of the apcupsd package, I'm going to make use of it's 30-50 minute charge just a bit more I think.  And I'm going to change the "Power Down UPS after shutdown?(YES/NO):" to "NO".

Holy crap, maybe this is what I experienced.

I had the CP1000AVRLCD for a few years, but I only needed it a few times. One thing I noticed is that when there is a power loss of over 300 seconds, it correctly shuts down my server, but fails to shut down the UPS (itself). It keeps beeping until I get to it.

When I tested it, I simply turned off the power strip it was hooked up to, and waited until unraid turned off. Upon seeing that the UPS was not turned off, I turned on the power strip. Shortly after, I noticed that both the UPS and unraid were off and unraid needed a parity check. I did this twice and couldn't understand what was going on and assumed it was a faulty unit.

Maybe like you said, after I turned the power back on, the UPS still remained on batteries until they died (20 min later) and everything shut down uncleanly. I gotta test that scenario.

I know it has been a while, but thanks for the report.