Share Structure Setup - Trash Guides vs Predefined

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Hello!

After spending some time on various threads I'm finally getting ready to build my first Unraid NAS.

The one thing that I'm still foggy about is the share structure setup.

I often see Trash Guides being referenced as a preferred way.

But it's not obvious to me if it's being suggested for just one specific usage case applicable to users running various **arr's, using hardlinks and moving data via atomic moves.

My usage case is strictly as a storage/media server. No use of torrents or **arr's

Thanks

10 hours ago, Carraya said:

My usage case is strictly as a storage/media server. No use of torrents or **arr's

Do you have a strong desire to see the server as a single mount point on your client machines, or would you rather see different categories, with possible permission differences where 1 person may only have access to TV shows and Movies, and another user have access to the documents share?

10 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Do you have a strong desire to see the server as a single mount point on your client machines, or would you rather see different categories, with possible permission differences where 1 person may only have access to TV shows and Movies, and another user have access to the documents share?

I'd like to have a server with different categories (Movies, TV Shows, Pictures, Books, Music, Documents etc.) with each client having different permission rights to each of that category.