(Solved) Trying to add USB C 3.0 2.5Gbps Ethernet Adapter

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

I am trying to add a USB C 3.0 2.5Gbps Ugreen Ethernet Dongle and was hoping it would simply be plug and play.  Unfortunately, I'm not that lucky.

I get link lights at 2.5gbps from the connected dongle to my 2.5gbps unmanaged switch.  Unraid seems to detect that something was plugged in but i don't see it in the webui networking settings section.  I have 2 1gbps nics built into my motherboard and those continue to be seen by Unraid just fine.

Syslog:

Aug 23 10:32:21 TheDarkTower kernel: usb 2-2: new SuperSpeed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd

Nothing further about it in dmesg or syslog

I'm running Unraid 6.10.3

Any guidance would be much appreciated

thedarktower-diagnostics-20220823-1139.zip

Edited by Jeramie
Solved
1 hour ago, Jeramie said:

I am trying to add a USB C 3.0 2.5Gbps Ugreen Ethernet Dongle and was hoping it would simply be plug and play.  Unfortunately, I'm not that lucky.

I get link lights at 2.5gbps from the connected dongle to my 2.5gbps unmanaged switch.  Unraid seems to detect that something was plugged in but i don't see it in the webui networking settings section.  I have 2 1gbps nics built into my motherboard and those continue to be seen by Unraid just fine.

Syslog:

Aug 23 10:32:21 TheDarkTower kernel: usb 2-2: new SuperSpeed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd

Nothing further about it in dmesg or syslog

I'm running Unraid 6.10.3

Any guidance would be much appreciated

thedarktower-diagnostics-20220823-1139.zip 208.26 kB · 0 downloads

It is detected at the usb layer but looks like the ether rtl driver is not picked up. May not be in stock unraid.

RTL8156 / RTL8156B(S)(G) is required.

Edited by SimonF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, SimonF said:

It is detected at the usb layer but looks like the ether rtl driver is not picked up. May not be in stock unraid.

RTL8156 / RTL8156B(S)(G) is required.

Oh I See, are you aware of any 2.5Gbps+ usb adapters that would have drivers in stock unraid?

Thanks so much for the info!

• Jeramie changed the title to (Solved) Trying to add USB C 3.0 2.5Gbps Ethernet Adapter
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Adding the drivers did it for me on a fairly modest USB-C to 2.5GB/s adapter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CCCWJ9MQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Installed the Realtek USB drivers, rebooted the server, then went into the Network settings and switched my eth0 for the new adapter and left the "old" gibabit internal one for eth1. One more reboot and everything works like a charm! Pretty nice upgrade for £27 and using a port rarely useful for a headless server anyway (and saving some PCIe lanes that way too)

• 2 months later...
On 10/25/2023 at 7:56 PM, denishay said:

Adding the drivers did it for me on a fairly modest USB-C to 2.5GB/s adapter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CCCWJ9MQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Installed the Realtek USB drivers, rebooted the server, then went into the Network settings and switched my eth0 for the new adapter and left the "old" gibabit internal one for eth1. One more reboot and everything works like a charm! Pretty nice upgrade for £27 and using a port rarely useful for a headless server anyway (and saving some PCIe lanes that way too)

Hi, I am struggling to discover how to do that part of switching eth0! Can you explain please?

Many many thanks!