help setting up shares

robti
Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi  i am a newbie at unraid and thought i had my shares set up okay all seperate share, movies,tv series, photos, music and files, but someone said i would be better to set up another way with a share called data then use windows explorer to set up folders in the data folder as media then sub folders of the above files.

Which way is recommended share setup please delete if links are not allowed ?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, robti said:

Hi  i am a newbie at unraid and thought i had my shares set up okay all seperate share, movies,tv series, photos, music and files, but someone said i would be better to set up another way with a share called data then use windows explorer to set up folders in the data folder as media then sub folders of the above files.

Which way is recommended share setup please delete if links are not allowed ?

Thanks

The "recommeded" way is the way that works for your needs.  Both of the organization methods you listed above are fairly common. 

Personally, I organize my shares based on media type (movies, tv, photos, music, documents, backups, etc.)  Others prefer to have one top-level folder/share and subfolders for each type.

I wanted to be able to handle media types differently for various scenarios and find it easier to do so if they are each their own share.  The same could be said for one share with sub-folders for media types depending on what best meets your needs.

Just keep in mid that any top-level folder created on a drive in the array becomes a share whether or not you created it as such through the Shares tab in the GUI.

Edited by Hoopster
5 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Depends also on the way you want to manage users access, how you plan to use pools to cache files or not, share that would stay on a pool, etc.

@robti Very true.  I just lumped all of this under my statement "I wanted to be able to handle media types differently for various scenarios."  Backup scenarios also come into play for me.  I just found it all easier to manage for my use cases with media type having their own share.  For others, it will be different.

Edited by Hoopster
14 hours ago, Arbadacarba said:

Any chance the person/site that recomended that method is NOT familiar with Unraid?

Linked by the OP page in Trash Guides is Unraid specific.

That guide is being mentioned everywhere on this forum, which makes it super confusing for n00bs like myself when it's assumed that the users reading it know what they're doing and why.

It's confusing because nowhere in the guide there's a mention of the specific purpose of the proposed share structure, or at least it's not obvious to n00bs who have never heard of hard links and atomic moves.

Here's the first thing you see when opening that page:

"The first thing you need to do is forget the suggested paths from the Spaceinvader One YouTube Tutorials,

and don't use the predefined paths from the unraid templates."

Edited by Carraya

I had to google to to figure out what TRaSH Guides was... It's a guide for improving the results he was getting from Radarr and 

sonarr... OR I'm looking at the wrong thing entirely...

https://trash-guides.info/

To be honest he is setting things up a little strangely... About the only benefit I can see from his method is that you can limit your mapping down to one setting... But that can be done more easily as well...

Certainly there may be benefit from this technique, but if it aint broke...

If you are looking for simple and functional sharing structures I would set each media type up as a share... I understand the dissatisfaction of mixing great and not so great copies of movies and music, but having them split up between various sources seems like a mess to me.

I managed all of my music by hand before I discovered Unraid and honestly find the Unraid default to be very functional. The only thing I do is restrict the various shares to individual drives so that I can send the idle drives to sleep and not risk long pauses between tv episodes or music tracks while drives spin up.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Arbadacarba said:

I had to google to to figure out what TRaSH Guides was... It's a guide for improving the results he was getting from Radarr and 

sonarr... OR I'm looking at the wrong thing entirely...

https://trash-guides.info/

If you are looking for simple and functional sharing structures I would set each media type up as a share... I understand the dissatisfaction of mixing great and not so great copies of movies and music, but having them split up between various sources seems like a mess to me.

Yes, that's the guide I was mentioning.

And here's the specific how-to-setup page: https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/How-to-setup-for/

Accompanied by this video:

It seems this file structure is now being regularly mentioned by many (not just on this board) when there's a question posted asking about the "best" share structure.

Is it because it's assumed that the new user will be running **arrs?

I still don't understand the fascination with this structure short of a specific usage case.

I think there should be at least a basic qualifier mentioned in that respect by those who give such advice to a n00b.

thanks to all the helpful answers and as a newbie i have to do a lot of searching to find out how to set shares up, luckily i only have a few Tb of data to move across so keeping the backup safe for now. if there was just some where to say if only using as a nas/file server do it this way but if using multiple dockers/ vpn's do it another way.

i first set it up through multiple shares like spaceinvader one says, then found via fb and elsewhere  that the TRaSH guide was also recommended.

So atm i have it set up via the windows explorer and sub folders just because i am used to it and couldn't get a definitive answer without delving deeper than what i know for now

Thanks

Your appdata, domains, system shares are on the array. You want these shares on fast pool (cache) so Docker/VM performance won't be impacted by slower array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

Some other things about your shares aren't clear, partly due to anonymized diagnostics.

Post a screenshot of User Shares page.

You only want the Yes settings for shares where new files temporarily go to the cache, and later get moved to the array.    For shares where you want them to end up on the cache and NOT be moved to the array you need the Prefer setting.  The help built into the GUI will help understand why.

• Solution
21 minutes ago, robti said:

stopping plex

11 hours ago, itimpi said:

Have you disabled the docker and VM services and then run mover?

No, you haven't, so system share still has files on the array that can't be moved because they are open.

On 8/27/2022 at 6:40 PM, trurl said:

you have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings

• Like 1