[Solved] Data disk disabled after parity swap

I was really wondering whether you had formatted the emulated disk4 slot rather than the physical disk 32AZ. I guess it doesn't matter, we need to see what is on 32AZ.

If you rebuild disk4 now you will get exactly what is emulated, an empty disk.

Everything is so out-of-date about your system. I don't know if you can even update any of your plugins on that old version. And we really need to install Unassigned Devices to see if we can mount 32AZ.

Go to the Apps page and see if you can install Unassigned Devices.

I guess you could just New Config 32AZ back into the array and rebuild parity since there is no point in rebuilding slot4. Might even be better to New Config with 32AZ in slot4 and nothing assigned as parity since it isn't clear if your hardware is stable enough to rebuild anything. Then we could go from there.

Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

Looks like you updated Unraid, which is good.

Maybe the old version you were on didn't have good enough warnings against formatting a disk in the array. I know many have made that mistake when a drive is unmountable thinking they can rebuild it, even on more recent versions with better warnings. Format is a write operation that updates parity.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Mostly empty. I think you must have formatted it. If you think it had anything important on it you would have to look at data recovery software.

I'm good. Most of it were movies that can be recovered as I've got the original disks. The important things were back upped on a regular base.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Looks like you updated Unraid, which is good.

Maybe the old version you were on didn't have good enough warnings against formatting a disk in the array. I know many have made that mistake when a drive is unmountable thinking they can rebuild it, even on more recent versions with better warnings. Format is a write operation that updates parity.

So for now, what should I do? Stop the array and add parity again and I'm good to go?

If so, what are the steps to convert the filesystem of the existing disks as they are still in reiserfs now.

After that I´ll replace 2 existing data disks with a new 18TB and 10TB disk.

48 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Stop the array and add parity again

and let parity rebuild. That will get you back to parity protection and will also be a good test of your system.

48 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

replace 2 existing data disks with a new 18TB and 10TB disk

The normal replace/rebuild procedure will result in the replacement disk having the same filesystem as the replaced disk.

Since disk4 is (mostly) empty, reformat it as XFS and you will already have one disk converted. Then you could copy files from the smaller disks to disk4, so they can be reformatted XFS. At some point you could rebuild an already converted disk to a new larger disk. Repeat as necessary.

Make sure when you format that only the disk you want to format is listed as available to format. You don't want to format a disk that should have data on it. If any others are in the list to format they would need to have their filesystem repaired so they aren't listed for formatting.

21 hours ago, trurl said:

and let parity rebuild. That will get you back to parity protection and will also be a good test of your system.

Have started this but speed seems very slow unfortunately (1MB/sec at max for the moment). Dashboard shows UMDA CRC errors on several disks.

As I've already replaced the motherboard, processor and cables my only guess is that replacing the PSU might solve the problem?

toschestation-diagnostics-20220921-2041.zip

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Connection problems disks 1,3

Are you using latching SATA cables? Some WD drives may not play well with those.

Are you bundling data cables? Don't

Do all drive cables have plenty of slack so they can sit squarely on the connector without any tension?

Yes, some of theme have latching SATA cables. Never had problems with those in the past and wasn't aware that this could be a problem with WD drives. I'll guess I'll order some non-latching ones.

None of the SATA cables are bundled and they have enough space to sit correct on the connector.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:56 PM, trurl said:

Any power splitters?

Yes, I've got 2 Molex to Sata splitters. 

I think I'm better of finding a PSU with at least 9 SATA power connectors (if that should exist).

At the moment, I've changed the SATA data cables for disk 1 and 3.

Booted the server and the array and parity-sync started immediately at 2.9GB/sec.

That's the good news. The bad news is that for disk 3 Unraid gives me a red cross (device disabled - contents emumated) - unmountable: wrong or no file system.

How is this possible? Before changing the cables there wasn't anything with the file system and now, after changing the SATA data cable this...

For the moment, I've paused parity sync.

toschestation-diagnostics-20220923-1511.zip

• Starkiller changed the title to [Solved] Data disk disabled after parity swap