Network settings for two ports and 10GBase-T

Go to solution Solved by Vr2Io,

Hi all!

I need help setting up the network adapters in my DIY NAS.
I have a rather superficial knowledge of networking technologies, and just getting started in Linux / UnRAID. (I probably wouldn't even have started if I hadn't assembled a NAS-server for myself).

I am going to use the server also for video editing purposes, so I need a fast network. There is 10GBase-T network adapter (Intel® X550-AT2) with two RJ45 ports installed on the motherboard.

At the same time, the rest of my home network has a speed of 1G. It is built on a 1G-router that is connected to the internet. The router has a DHCP-server that distributes IP-addresses to all connected devices. I do not plan to change the router - it works fine. Usually my main computer connects with my router by WiFi (my main computer is laptop).

For my main computer, I also bought an external 10GBase-T Thunderbolt network adapter (Sonnet Solo 10G).
I want to have the maximum speed between the main computer and the NAS. (I understand that the speed limit will be SATA3 600 MBytes/s and the Samba protocol, but I would like the faster is the better). 

I've installed UnRAID on the NAS. 
I've connected the first 10GbE port in the NAS-server to the router, the second port I connect to the main computer, right?
In the UnRAID network settings I see two interfaces - eth0 (the one connected to the router) and eth1.

And one more important question. I have not yet figured out what Bridge, Bond, VLAN are, and how they differ. My guess is that I need to somehow configure the routing tables on the NAS and probably on the router?

I've tried to picture a diagram of my network, and what's currently configured.
I would be very grateful if someone could tell me how to configure interfaces and routing tables.

Thank you!

Network-Scheme-UNR.png

• Solution
5 hours ago, Alexey Leontyev said:

My guess is that I need to somehow configure the routing tables on the NAS

Native Unraid haven't router / bridge two physical network port function, a common method was make a direct 10G connection between NAS ( one 10G port be eth1 ) and PC for file transfer, setting them in different IP/Subnet in static IP.

Then onboard 1G NIC in NAS ( eth0 ) and PC WiFi, for access internet and manage Unraid.

• Like 1
On 8/25/2022 at 4:19 AM, Vr2Io said:

Native Unraid haven't router / bridge two physical network port function, a common method was make a direct 10G connection between NAS ( one 10G port be eth1 ) and PC for file transfer, setting them in different IP/Subnet in static IP.

Then onboard 1G NIC in NAS ( eth0 ) and PC WiFi, for access internet and manage Unraid.

Thank you!

Can you tell me more precisely what settings should be specified?

I tried to configure a 10G subnet at IP addresses 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.10.2, based on my very superficial understanding.

But when I turn off the WiFi (connected to the router at 192.168.1.1) - I can't reach my shared unRAID drive via 10G.

If I disconnect the 10G cable, and turn on the WiFi - everything works (both internet and shared resources).
If I turn on the 10G and WiFi - the internet is very unstable. The internet traffic is apparently trying to get through the 10G, and that - fails. I can't reach the unRAID shares.

If I turn on the only 10G - there is neither no internet, no shares.

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 10.46.42.png

1. WiFi was use to access Internet, 192.168.1.x with gateway 192.168.1.1, setting as usual at both side and always enable.

2. 10G subnet 192.168.10.x won't have gateway at both side, just blank the gateway, only use for high speed file transfer.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

TimeMaschine... or TimeMachine...

Pls also try ping test to 192.168.10.1

Yes, this address is not pinged.

Spoiler

PING 192.168.10.1 (192.168.10.1): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

Request timeout for icmp_seq 6

ping: sendto: No route to host

Request timeout for icmp_seq 7

ping: sendto: Host is down

Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

Request timeout for icmp_seq 9

Request timeout for icmp_seq 10

Request timeout for icmp_seq 11

Request timeout for icmp_seq 12

Request timeout for icmp_seq 13

Request timeout for icmp_seq 14

Request timeout for icmp_seq 15

Request timeout for icmp_seq 16

^C

--- 192.168.10.1 ping statistics ---

18 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

But this port is listed as connected in the Unraid Dashboard.
And there are even occasional values in the Inbound sometimes...

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 19.42.44.png

Edited by Alexey Leontyev

20 minutes ago, Alexey Leontyev said:

Yes, this address is not pinged.

This abnormal, are you ping from Mac 192.168.10.2 to Unraid 192.168.10.1 ? How about if at Unraid ping to 192.168.10.2 ?

Seems you use two 10G port for eth0 eth1, pls ensure the port with mac address ending in E5 connect to router and E6 was connect to Mac.

Then post network setting / state screen dump at Unraid and Mac.

Unraid internet access work ? ping 8.8.8.8 work ? ping 192.168.1.1 work ?

Mac internet access work ?

Edited by Vr2Io