Errors on Cache Pool

nlash
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

The last two times I've rebooted, the server has started a parity check and reported cache pool errors upon start-up. The first time was after an OS upgrade (months ago), the most recent time (today) was after a CPU pin reassignment. I have a script that I grabbed from here that does hourly BTRFS checks and reports when it finds them. Nothing was reported since the last time this happened and I rebuilt my pool. I also have monthly BTRFS scrubs scheduled. 

Diagnostics attached. 

Any help as to why this is happening would be appreciated. 

unraidserver-diagnostics-20220825-1704.zip

Edited by nlash
4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Those errors mean that device sdb dropped offline at some point in the past, but before this last boot, to reset the fs errors see here.

Ah, the reset errors was the step I was missing—thank you. Would sbd dropping offline be due to cables or some other something else? 

• 5 weeks later...
Sep 25 06:53:04 UnRAIDServer kernel: ata4: hard resetting link
Sep 25 06:53:09 UnRAIDServer kernel: ata4: found unknown device (class 0)
Sep 25 06:53:09 UnRAIDServer kernel: ata4: softreset failed (device not ready)
Sep 25 06:53:09 UnRAIDServer kernel: ata4: reset failed, giving up
Sep 25 06:53:09 UnRAIDServer kernel: ata4.00: disable device
Sep 25 06:53:09 UnRAIDServer kernel: ata4: EH complete

Device drooped offline, this is usually a power/connection problem, check/replace cables, both power and SATA.

• Like 1

Sorry, last questions (hopefully).

What's the best sequence of steps to protect the data on the cache from corruption when this happens? I've moved my cache-only shares to the array and I have appdata backups happening nightly. 

I'm not familiar enough with how the cache pool system works to know what NOT to do in this scenario. Can I simply power down, replace the cable, and scrub?