WD20EARS = brick?

Or am I missing something here? I ordered two of these drives. One of them appears to be working fine. The other one caused my first ever unRAID (which I am in the process of building) to become extremely unresponsive.

I hooked it up to my Windows machine and it took about 5 minutes to do a quick format. On the other drive it takes 5 seconds. Transfer rates are below 1 MB/s. And what's with the seek error rates?

Xk9jH.jpg

Still waiting for the results of quick 2-minute smart test from WD life guard app. It hasn't finished yet and it's been running for almost 20 minutes.

Look at ID 5 of the Smart report.

"Reallocated Sectors= 200"

That means the drive has identified 200 bad sectors and mapped them to spares.

It looks like it may've run out of spares to remap too.

send it back for a replacement!

You are probably interpreting that incorrectly.  The "VALUE" is normalized, the "raw" value has the actual count.  It is zero.

Joe L.

Try another SATA cable preferably a really short cable. Those WD grreen drives dont like long or noisy cables. They behave exactly as you describe running like a usb 1.0 connected drive.

reallocated count is fine as per Joe's comments.

smartctl -x /dev/sdb  etc. will often show up PHY errors caused by bad cables....

eg.

SATA Phy Event Counters (GP Log 0x11)

ID      Size    Value  Description

0x0001  2            0  Command failed due to ICRC error

0x0002  2            0  R_ERR response for data FIS

0x0003  2            0  R_ERR response for device-to-host data FIS

0x0004  2            0  R_ERR response for host-to-device data FIS

0x0005  2            0  R_ERR response for non-data FIS

0x0006  2            0  R_ERR response for device-to-host non-data FIS

0x0007  2            0  R_ERR response for host-to-device non-data FIS

0x000a  2            8  Device-to-host register FISes sent due to a COMRESET

Right. So the test never finished, aborted it after 2 hours. I tried the preclear script and nothing was happening with the pre-read, so I used -W to skip it. Step 2/10 (Copying zeros to remainder) has been stuck at 136MB (0%) for over an hour. Bah!  >:(

I've had similar symptoms on three of these so far, essentially either doing a preclear on unRAID runs slow or fails, or using the Western Digital tool will fail to complete some runs.  In all cases I took them back to my dealer who gave me a new drive on the spot (on two occasions they hooked the bad drive up to a test machine and after a few minutes also found it to be bad).

For the last few drives I have bought I have run all the tests in the Western Digital tools twice (takes about 15 hours) before passing the drive over to preclear for two passes (which take about 28 hours each).  The last two failures have been picked up in the WD tools and on those I got replacements and did not even bother trying preclear.

Regards,

Stephen

Hi all,

Things are finally resolved. As I mentioned the drive would cause the system to simply stop responding. After several attempts with WD's utility (which took me a few days) there was finally a result:

e9Ilt.jpg

I returned the drive along with these results and they gave me a replacement right away. The new drive has been successfully precleared today and I've just received unRAID plus key, so my 1st unRAID server will finally be operational very soon :)

As some of you mentioned (and I agree with you), I should have just returned it right away. But since this was my first experience with unraid I thought that I'm doing something wrong when the drive stopped responding during preclear (the screen basically stopped updating, it was still at 0% after 6 hours).