Happy 17th Birthday to Lime Technology and Unraid

On August 26th, 2005, the very first post announcing "a new network-attached media storage server product called Un-RAID" was made on AVS Forum.

What started out as a side project for "beer money" 17 years ago has turned into a growing and thriving company, product, and community of hundreds of thousands of homelab enthusiasts.

In honor of this milestone, here is the link to the original forum post by Unraid creator and CEO @limetech that started it all!

From all of us at Lime Tech, thank you all for the support, collaboration and trust over all of these years. We wouldn't be here without YOU. 

• Like 18

Unraid was already on v4.7 when I first started 11 years ago.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/11466-planning-a-small-form-factor-build/

Joe L. was a frequent contributor on the Unraid forum then. This was before we even had plugins. He also did many addons, such as the original preclear script and unMenu with its package manager.

I discovered he lived in my city when I discovered that AVS thread. Joe L. made many posts to that thread starting on page 4.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, trurl said:

Joe L. was a frequent contributor on the Unraid forum then. This was before we even had plugins. He also did many addons, such as the original preclear script and unMenu with its package manager.

I discovered he lived in my city when I discovered that AVS thread. Joe L. made many posts to that thread starting on page 4.

I discovered it at the end of v5

• Like 1
2 hours ago, trurl said:

I started, also on 4.7, a couple of months before you (my post in your thread - 

)

Happy Birthday, LimeTech and Unraid.  Long may it continue.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, SimonF said:

The sweet spot for drives was 320gb back then how things have changed.

Tell me about it, looking at my post history, this was my first Unraid server, from 2007:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

Onboard Nforce controller with 4 x Seagate 500gb SATA
Onboard Sil3114 with 1 x Seagate 500gb SATA + 1 x WD 250gb SATA
PCI Sil3112 with 2 x WD 250gb SATA
Another PCI Sil3112 with 2 x WD 250gb SATA

lol, 10 disks for a little over 3TB of usable space.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, trurl said:

I think I found the same post from Xbmx now Kodi website pointed to it. 

I also started on 4.7 and I must admit I was very excited too. 

• Thanks 1

Version 4.7 was the released version when I started with unRAID but 5.0 was in beta.  I installed version 5.0 beta 14 on my first server in late 2011 and, of course, unMenu which provided a way to expand the capabilities of the unRAID web interface. 

unRAID has come a very long way since then and I can't imagine what it looked like in the first release 17 years ago.

Congratulations to Limetech for turning a side product into a thriving business and community.  We thank you.

• Thanks 1