AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Looks like Supermicro is updating the AOC-SASLP-MV8. I don't see it listed yet at the sites I normally buy from so I don't know what it is going to cost.

Key Features

• 8-channel SAS/SATA adapter with 600MB/s per channel

• PCI-E x8 interface

• JBOD mode only. No RAID support

• Dimension: 6.6" (length) x 2.7" (width)

More details here:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SAS2LP-MV8.cfm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should mention this.

I found the firmware for this card on accident a week or 2 ago looking for firmware for my SAS1 card.

I was not sure what card it was for since the only SAS2 cards supermicro had listed then were LSI not Marvel based.

Would there be any read speed increase with the 6gb/ps card compared to the 3gb/ps?

Only if you can find a drive which will sustain that data rate ... perhaps if all your data is in the drive cache, or on ssd?

Even then, you'd never get the data across the network at that rate.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Supermicro is updating the AOC-SASLP-MV8. I don't see it listed yet at the sites I normally buy from so I don't know what it is going to cost.

Key Features

• 8-channel SAS/SATA adapter with 600MB/s per channel

• PCI-E x8 interface

• JBOD mode only. No RAID support

• Dimension: 6.6" (length) x 2.7" (width)

More details here:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SAS2LP-MV8.cfm

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=enter&thispage=0110025010010_BGV2590P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

• 4 weeks later...

So is anyone using this card with Unraid?  (And with 3tb drives or not?)

The newegg reviews suggest massive driver problems - some people say it works fine with unraid, others not.

There have been several posts on this.  YES - the SASLP IS compatible with 3T drives with the .21 firmware.  I personally am running 2 and done many reads, writes, and parity checks.

See HERE.

If you follow the link inside to AVS, you will see an updated Windows driver that helped some Windows users the 3T drive compatibility issues.  This does not affect unRAID / Linux.

If there are credible accounts of incompatibilities, please post links and we can discuss.

So is anyone using this card with Unraid?  (And with 3tb drives or not?)

The newegg reviews suggest massive driver problems - some people say it works fine with unraid, others not.

There have been several posts on this.  YES - the SASLP IS compatible with 3T drives with the .21 firmware. 

Yeah I kinda knew about that (meaning I was pretty sure but would check before buying)

I'm asking about the SAS2LP though.

• 1 month later...

Other then over priced on Ebay.

I have not seen anyone with this item in stock the last time i checked.

it was special order or drop ship.

I only recall 1 person say they had one and that it worked.

there is no real need to upgrade to this version from the tried and true older version.

the only 2 exceptions would be for expander use or a Sata3 SSD

there is no real need to upgrade to this version from the tried and true older version.

Should'nt be the 8x bus interface an advantage, if you read from a lot of drives? (eg. rebuild the parity)

PCIe V1 at 4x is 1000 MB/s, that still exceeds (or is about equal too) 8x 5400rpm drives in standard use, including parity check.

hence my previous statement.

you might get minor improvement. but minimal.

btw:

Has anybody seen a SAS to "SATA 6g"/SATA3 breakout cable for this controller?

Assuming you have a good quality cable, it should be the same. the difference is data throughput speed. nothing physically different in the sonnectors.

Should'nt be the 8x bus interface an advantage, if you read from a lot of drives? (eg. rebuild the parity)

PCIe V1 at 4x is 1000 MB/s, that still exceeds (or is about equal too) 8x 5400rpm drives in standard use, including parity check.

hence my previous statement.

you might get minor improvement. but minimal.

My experience is a little different.  The PCIe bandwidth numbers are theoretical.  After overhead, the real-world numbers are closer to 600-700MB/s for a V1 x4.  Both Hitachi and WD 2TB Green drives can push upwards of almost 130MB/s on their outer stripes.  So 5 of those drives can saturate the card (the old SASLP).  When you add drive 6, you'll notice that the sync speeds begin to drop.  By the eighth drive, you parity speeds will max out around 60+MB/s.  Moving to cards that support more lanes (x8) or PCIe V2 will reduce the bottlenecks.  There are other factors such connection points (DMI, Northbridge, etc.) that also have an impact.

An article that I found useful is this:

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=10

Regards,  Peter

My experience is a little different.  The PCIe bandwidth numbers are theoretical.  After overhead, the real-world numbers are closer to 600-700MB/s for a V1 x4.  Both Hitachi and WD 2TB Green drives can push upwards of almost 130MB/s on their outer stripes.  So 5 of those drives can saturate the card (the old SASLP).  When you add drive 6, you'll notice that the sync speeds begin to drop.  By the eighth drive, you parity speeds will max out around 60+MB/s.  Moving to cards that support more lanes (x8) or PCIe V2 will reduce the bottlenecks.  There are other factors such connection points (DMI, Northbridge, etc.) that also have an impact.

Interesting. The price difference between the SASLP and SAS2LP seems to be about US$40.00 or about a 30% premium for the SAS2LP. I'm planning to purchase several AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards so its worth thinking about. If the prices were similar I'd just order the SAS2LP but it doesn't seem that the performance difference is worth that 30% premium.

As mentioned in day to day use, there will be no performance difference on modern mechanical drives.

I have been looking at what Pete said,

It looks like the saslp-mv8 does get completely saturated with 7 or 8 drives on it. That's not enough to worry about. it would just take slightly longer to do a parity check. I am averaging closer to 85MB/s  sec though.

The guy on website is complaining because he wants to use it for ZFS raid. In that case the card would be constantly writing and reading to every port at the same time during every single file operation. In that case the saslp-mv8 would be a poor choice.

I can try to do some sort of test next week of a parity check with an array on 2 SASLP-MV8's, then run the same array on 2 M1015's and see the difference.

• 2 weeks later...