10gbps connection without a 10gig switch?

PassTheSalt

My UnRaid machine is right next to my desktop. I wanted to get a 10gbps connection between them. I can throw 10gig cards in each but I want to figure out if I can avoid having to get a 10gig switch and just run then straight into eachother. 
idk how it would work other than it being a completely separate network.   Has anyone ever done this? That or links to a cheaper 10gig switch. Only needs 2 10gbps ports.

Switch would be the better solution, but it works too without one if you dare to take a little drawback.

To do so, you will need to equip your UNRAID server with 2 LAN cards, one 10Gbe, one 1Gbe.

Put both cards into the same bridge, UNRAID will use the same settings for both and forward packets to both sides.

Now connect your Client with a direct connection to the 10Gbe Unraid and connect the 1Gbe Unraid to your router/other switches.

(you may use a high quality RJ45 cable, or a DA cable, or fiber cable depending on the connection types of the 10Gbe cards)

The drawback is that your PC will only get an internet connection while UNRAID is up and running. If it is up 24/7 there is no problem at all.

(its logical, it can only forward packets while it is up)

14 hours ago, MAM59 said:

Switch would be the better solution, but it works too without one if you dare to take a little drawback.

To do so, you will need to equip your UNRAID server with 2 LAN cards, one 10Gbe, one 1Gbe.

Put both cards into the same bridge, UNRAID will use the same settings for both and forward packets to both sides.

Now connect your Client with a direct connection to the 10Gbe Unraid and connect the 1Gbe Unraid to your router/other switches.

(you may use a high quality RJ45 cable, or a DA cable, or fiber cable depending on the connection types of the 10Gbe cards)

The drawback is that your PC will only get an internet connection while UNRAID is up and running. If it is up 24/7 there is no problem at all.

(its logical, it can only forward packets while it is up)

So the UnRaid machine would acts as a switch of sorts?  My UnRaid machine is on 24/7. Only issue I can think of is would the internet on the client still work with the array off?  Right now I connect with Tailscale docker container which turns off if I shutdown the array. So I have to connect from a local machine. But if the local machine also loses connection that will be a problem.

what do you mean with "array off" ?

just shutting down the array (for what reason? I cannot imagine a good one ?!?!?).

If the machine with UNRAID keeps on running, the passon will still work, it does not depend on any array.

But still I am curious, why in the world would somebody shut down the array?

Update: aaah, I just looked up "Tailscale". Its a VPN tunnel... I dont know what you use or need it for, but if you do your internet connection with/over it, of course, it wont work anymore if the "array is off". I'm not even sure if it will work at all in this combination. You have to try.

Edited by MAM59
8 hours ago, MAM59 said:

what do you mean with "array off" ?

just shutting down the array (for what reason? I cannot imagine a good one ?!?!?).

If the machine with UNRAID keeps on running, the passon will still work, it does not depend on any array.

But still I am curious, why in the world would somebody shut down the array?

Update: aaah, I just looked up "Tailscale". Its a VPN tunnel... I dont know what you use or need it for, but if you do your internet connection with/over it, of course, it wont work anymore if the "array is off". I'm not even sure if it will work at all in this combination. You have to try.

Last time I did it I was trying to check something with a cache drive and could only view it with the array off.

I just use Tailscale to access the NAS from anywhere else other than my home network.  

do you know of any recommended 10gig switches that would be better?  I’ve seen a few with 2x10gig ports and a handful of 1gig.

11 minutes ago, PassTheSalt said:

do you know of any recommended 10gig switches that would be better?

I'm afraid, I do not know any "cheap 'n easy" switches, I prefer to use "real" ones 🙂

The smallest and cheapest I know of is a "MikroTik CRS-305" which has 4 SFP+ slots and one 1Gbe Port.

But be aware you have to buy some modules for the slot too! so the original price can easily be doubled depending on what you need.

(Also: be alarmed: using 10Gbe with Twisted Pair will make this device really sad if the cables are too long. It has no fans (which is very good on the desktop) but CAT Modules can easily go over 85°C and are shut off by the switch then. Do not use more than 2 of them and leave much room between these modules! (or add an external fan))

10Gbe and upwards works best with fiber or "direct attach". Copper is a big risk and the source of a lot of grief.

Be aware that this is either a Switch or a Router. It is always shipped as a Router with a featureful (and very complicated) Operating System, but you can install "SW OS" to make it a very simple, but still powerful switch which is very easy to manage.

The recommended retail price is $149 (but the needed modules are from $20 up to $70!)

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in