Switching docker disk format?

Go to solution Solved by wgstarks,

I made a mistake on my new unraid server, cause my new machine has a very small SSD as main drive(16G) for docker and VM, I planned to set the docker disk format as directory format, but forgot it when I setup docker, now it's in btrfs format, which would took a lot space and grow ever bigger.

Now this server already has a few docker canitaner running, I'd like to know could I switch to the directory format and what would lose during the switch?

5 hours ago, trurl said:

If docker.img is growing you have something misconfigured. The usual reason for filling docker.img is an application writing to a path that isn't mapped.

Attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

Sorry my description of the problem was confusing, my dock.img isn't growing bigger right now cuz misconfiguration, but I'd rather switching it from btrfs format to directory format, to keep the rasonable docker img size and able to shrink down when possible.

But I already have some docker container setup and running, so I'd like to know if it's possible to swtiching docker format like this, and what would be lost during the switch?

If all your dockers were installed via Community Applications then you shouldn’t need to worry about deleting and re-creating your docker image. You can just go to the Previous Apps section of CA and reinstall the dockers with all paths and settings intact once you create the new docker image.

Edited by wgstarks
31 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

If all your dockers were installed via Community Applications then you shouldn’t need to worry about deleting and re-creating your docker image. You can just go to the Previous Apps section of CA and reinstall the dockers with all paths and settings intact once you create the new docker image.

well, there is one docker container in my setup, which is not from CA, what would happen to it?

42 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I’m fairly sure that if you delete the docker image all your dockers will also get deleted. You’ll have to re-install them. If you take screenshots of the configuration for them it should be a fairly straightforward process though I would think.

Thank you, I just worry about my docker container setting gets mess up or something worse, tho the config should be fine if I don't touch appdata.

4 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Yes. All the data will be external to the image and dockers installed via CA have their configuration stored externally. Just no sure about dockers that you install yourself. @Squid might have a better idea what will happen if you re-create your docker image as far as restoring the dockers afterwards.

I did it........with mix results, the docker not from CA is fine, but some dockers from CA are running to all kind of problems, mostly the "nginx proxy manager": bad gate way, config not working.... have to clean the whole app data and reinstall and setup, also one docker "Alist" icon is missing, I can see the icon in CA but no matter how I install and config it, it just won't show up my docker page.

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

If you used Previous Apps, the CA dockers should be OK, except you might need to recreate any custom docker networks they were using.

I did recreate the macvlan like before, I think the NPM has its own problems for using existing config.

But the other docker(Alist) icon not showing up is quite an odd one, I tried clean its app data, re-pull docker image, even reboot unraid, still not working.