I am sorry I am a stupid newbie

asked for help and I feel so unimportant. i looked in the manual and the help to find the answers after I was told to look there for answers.  I have looked through so many posts on the forum to find the answers only to still not get the answer to help bring my new server build to an operational state. I am on a trial with 12 harddrives installed and would be happy to purchase a license. but now I don't think I will because it is obvious I am just a newbie and newbies annoy you. I will go to truenas deal with it. I had it up and running once but it did not fit my needs but least the forum was kinder to me and helpful to get it up and running. 

3 hours ago, Krackster said:

asked for help and I feel so unimportant. i looked in the manual and the help to find the answers after I was told to look there for answers.  I have looked through so many posts on the forum to find the answers only to still not get the answer to help bring my new server build to an operational state. I am on a trial with 12 harddrives installed and would be happy to purchase a license. but now I don't think I will because it is obvious I am just a newbie and newbies annoy you. I will go to truenas deal with it. I had it up and running once but it did not fit my needs but least the forum was kinder to me and helpful to get it up and running. 

Being a "newbie" here does not mean you are automatically ignored.  In fact, this is generally a very helpful forum for all users both new and experienced.

I use unRAD for all the things you mention except for Steam hosting.

It appears that @trurl has been trying to help you out and provided some useful information.  He is one of the "rockstars" in this forum as far as providing useful support.  I see where he referred you to the manual and help files not as a "don't bother us with your questions until you read the manual" answer but as a source of additional information.  In fact, his last reply to you specifically stated that you should post any questions you have.

What additional help do you need?  Trurl explained how cache and the Mover work.

FYI - support in these forums is overwhelmingly from fellow unRAID users who are volunteering their time to assist.  No one is intentionally ignored but help can be dependent on when someone is available to help.

For visibility here is Krackster's original request for help if anyone would like to take a crack at further assistance.

If TrueNAS is your choice, I hope it meets your needs.

Edited by Hoopster

I can't imagine where you got the idea anyone was annoyed.

I was waiting on you to continue our discussion on your other thread.

15 hours ago, trurl said:

Please don't hesitate to post and ask questions.

I only mentioned help so you would know it was there, and to give you additional information about what we are discussing

I would be happy to continue to help you on that thread. Do you need more detailed instructions than those I already gave?

Please return to that thread and I am sure we can easily get things working well.

Hmm, I dont see your problem ?!?!? your original question has been answered very detailed by trurl.

If you did not understand the answer, just ask for more explanations.

But in general, its easy:

• stop/pause your running transfers on the client (need to stop new incoming files)
  • run "Mover" in UNRAID (wait until it finishes, you may open the logfile to watch its progress, at the end it tells you that it is finished) (the cache is emptied and written to the array)
  • set the caching level of the share to "NO" (the cache wont be used for new incoming files from now on)
  • start/continue your transfers (now files will be written directly to the array drives)

UNRAID handles this on a "per share" level. So you may have different settings for different shares. Share A might use the cache, Share B might not.

After your transfers are done feel free to set back the cache level to "yes" if you want.

This might might not be the most politically correct statement, but I'll make it anyways. 

"We are all Stupid Newbies" when we install unraid for the first time. Just like playing a game for the first time or trying any other software. It just takes some time and patience and you'll see.

Eventually you'll be helping out somebody else for the first time with your experience and it becomes so much easier once you grasp it all. Until then keep asking questions until it all clicks. Trust me when I say this, IF YOU DON"T ASK somebody ELSE might miss the answer later. 

Looks like he isn't coming back.

The ironic thing is, I was trying to break my replies to that thread into smaller chunks to make it more digestible.

I guess I should have led with the post after the one that explained help. That post gave detailed instructions for their situation, and was made immediately after the other one, but I guess it wasn't read at all and this thread was started instead.

19 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

Don't worry, its not your fault if he is not into reading... maybe he is even not into answers at all?

He joined the forum on Friday afternoon and called it quits by Sunday morning.  Perhaps he felt there was too much to understand with unRAID and bailed for an "easier" option? I am not sure how TrueNAS qualifies as easier (admittedly I have never used it so I am just going off third-hand accounts).

It's too bad as he could have have been helped to understand unRAID better and it would have met his stated needs very well.

Edited by Hoopster

To be fair anything that I've encountered that is super easy to setup is very limited in features. 

unraid is very easy to start, but when you start adding VM's, reverse proxies, GPU Transcoding and a few other things it starts to get a bit complicated.  I've seen several people say they can't figure things out and they are going straight to VM's and trying to setup access from the outside world when they can't even figure out shares. 

In my opinion people should install unraid and start a little slower and figure out how it works out of the box before venturing down the complicated route. Nothing wrong with going crazy, but you just can't blame the forum or the OS when you first install it. The idea of slamming it into 5th gear and going 100mph when your still trying to figure the simple things first. 

There are several people here that will help do the craziest things and videos have been made for a lot of things. People just need to have some patience and get their foot hold first before leaping into harder things that unraid can/will do for them. 

• Like 2