CRC Error Count?

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

• Solution

CRC errors are connection problems, the drive firmware has detected inconsistent data received (checksum). The data is resent in these cases so usually nothing to worry about.

Click on the SMART warning on the Dashboard page for that disk and you can acknowledge the current value, then it will warn again if it increases. If it does increase frequently you need to figure out why.

Do you have Notifications setup to alert you immediately by email or other agent as soon as a problem is detected?

Do any of your other disks have SMART warnings on the Dashboard page?

Didn't look at syslog, if you want us to take a closer look at your setup, attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

• Like 1

No other errors.  I have reset.  I dont have errors on the other disks.  I only get the notifications in the popups and dismiss them.  Maybe I shoudl set up an email.  The issue is I get a lot of overheat and back to normal warningsa on disks (the yellow warning).

No other issues though.

Thank yoU!

1 hour ago, trurl said:

How hot?

I'll have to watch for it next time and quote you to ask but it's like a few degrees into the danger zone and then goes back down if I remember correctly but I will monitor more closely.  I am not sure if it will have th record in my diagnostics report.... attached.  

You really go above and beyond here.  Thank you.

tower-diagnostics-20220828-2109.zip

14 hours ago, zmanfarlee said:

The issue is I get a lot of overheat and back to normal warningsa on disks

You either need to improve cooling or change the warning threshold. It does you no good to get repeated warnings on something you are not going to fix, it just keeps you from acting on other things that need to get fixed ASAP.

If you can't improve cooling, just make sure the temperature swing for any given drive is as small as it can get. Don't allow drives to cool down to room temp and repeatedly get hot, better to keep things constantly warm than allow wild swings. In any case, you must configure the warning temps so it only alerts when there is an actual failure, like a fan going bad or excessive dust buildup. Allowing it to keep crying wolf is very bad.

• Upvote 1

@zmanfarlee, I looked at the SMART reports which are a part of your diagnostics file and found that the max disks temperatures ranged from 52-57C.  You should be keeping the max temperature below 50C.  (40C is actually better but depending on the server environment, this may not be achievable!)   Check to see that your case and fans are clean. Check that all fans are running.  Setup fans so that all cooling air enters the case from the front, passing over the hard drives and exits through the rear.  (Watch those fans in the side panels as they are often setup to blow onto a GPU card to provide additional cooling for that card.)  If all of the these seem in order, make sure that any fan speed control switches are set for max fan rpm. 

PS--- The disk temps are the time when the SMART reports were generated was in the high 30's!   What was the approximate ambient air tmeperature in the room where this server was.  IF it was not above about 30C, you have a cooling issue...

Edited by Frank1940
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

@zmanfarlee, I looked at the SMART reports which are a part of your diagnostics file and found that the max disks temperatures ranged from 52-57C.  You should be keeping the max temperature below 50C.  (40C is actually better but depending on the server environment, this may not be achievable!)   Check to see that your case and fans are clean. Check that all fans are running.  Setup fans so that all cooling air enters the case from the front, passing over the hard drives and exits through the rear.  (Watch those fans in the side panels as they are often setup to blow onto a GPU card to provide additional cooling for that card.)  If all of the these seem in order, make sure that any fan speed control switches are set for max fan rpm. 

PS--- The disk temps are the time when the SMART reports were generated was in the high 30's!   What was the approximate ambient air tmeperature in the room where this server was.  IF it was not above about 30C, you have a cooling issue...

Ambient temp is usually 24c.  I think I know one issue I can fix but it is likely cause the case is a t30 poweredge with 4 disks.

SHoudl I do a case swap?

6 minutes ago, zmanfarlee said:

Ambient temp is usually 24c.  I think I know one issue I can fix but it is likely cause the case is a t30 poweredge with 4 disks.

SHoudl I do a case swap?

If it looks like this in the back, some tape might help a bunch.

image.png.a7720719f098d28919da5f8c4e904151.png

Both fans should be blowing out, but all those holes below the fans in the slot covers (and any others) that allow air to get inside without going over the drives should be taped off.

image.png.e6db004668e617f11f262d5e82f5ee85.png

Temporarily remove the front plastic, and make sure all the openings not directly beside a hard drive are taped off.

You want all the air that moves through the case to flow over the drives first, seal off anything that lets air in elsewhere.

• Upvote 2