Brief, partial access to GUI, then no access

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all,

Noticed Plex and Nextcloud were down today while at work. Returning home I have been able to briefly access a partially loaded Dashboard screen, but then clicking over to Main has resulted in nothing loading at all now. I did notice a bunch of notiifications flash by, one of which was for a toasty HDD.

First time this has happened in 18 months of blissful stability so not sure what the best approach is. Reboot or something else?

Looks like you may be using more of rootfs than expected. rootfs is the space in RAM for the OS files, but any path that isn't mounted storage is a path in rootfs. If you fill rootfs the OS will behave erratically since it has no room to work in. A likely suspect would be a host path of one of your containers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 11:49 PM, trurl said:

Looks like you may be using more of rootfs than expected. rootfs is the space in RAM for the OS files, but any path that isn't mounted storage is a path in rootfs. If you fill rootfs the OS will behave erratically since it has no room to work in. A likely suspect would be a host path of one of your containers.

Hi @trurl have just noticed your response here - many thanks. A few weeks have now passed and I've had another out of memory error last night and this morning a server that appears to have hung. Unfortunately didn't see you post until after I reset the machine today so cannot get Diagnostics via the terminal.

The reboot doesn't seem to have helped in this case as I am still unable to access the GUI. Have tried installing Putty on a local windows machine as per instructions and then SSH into the server but I get the following error: Network error: connection timed out. There is no dialog about the host key as the wiki suggests on a first time login.

Kinda freaking out so hoping you might have some suggestions on what to try next. Thanks in advance :)

Edit: Have just plugged the server directly into a monitor and tried another reboot. UnRaid doesn't seem to be booting at all - I just end up in the BIOS screen.

Edited by nametaken_thisonetoo
Additional info
3 hours ago, trurl said:

Booting UEFI or CSM (legacy)?

BIOS has been set to boot in legacy mode since first setting up the server. Seems the USB flash drive isn't being picked up by the BIOS - it's not listed in the boot priorities as an option.

I do have a flash backup via MyServers that says its from last night at a time when the server was definitely still working. Should I restore this onto a new USB drive or try other things frst?

13 hours ago, trurl said:

Can any other computer see it? It is FAT so should be able to read it in Windows or other OS.

I could see the drive on a windows machine, although when I pugged it in Windows wanted to correct errors on the drive. I let it do this, and it then went through its process and declared no errors were found. From there I accessed the drive as normal.

I then tried booting from another USB port on the server and hey presto it's back. I have attached diagnostics, but not sure if they will tell you much. I have also stopped both Tdarr docker containers for now as I have noticed they seem to push the CPU usage to 100% at times, altough not sure of memory. If any container is causing an issue, my gut says this will be it.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot from here?

themagiceye-diagnostics-20220923-1131.zip

On 9/23/2022 at 12:06 PM, trurl said:

You can use this command to check if usage is growing

df -h /

So after a few days of checking on this usage has grown only 1% from 23 to 24%. I have also checked the paths on all of my containers and they are all pointing to the appropriate shares on the array - nothing directed towards the flash drive.

I thought I'd check in to see if you had any final thoughts? And also to say thanks again for your help!

5 hours ago, nametaken_thisonetoo said:

nothing directed towards the flash drive.

Rootfs has nothing to do with the flash drive space wise.

The flash is mounted at /boot

The command given was to check space at / which is the root.

5 hours ago, nametaken_thisonetoo said:

they are all pointing to the appropriate shares on the array

Problems sometimes occur when there are typos, like capitalization errors.