71605-Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout of drives hooked to card and settings change to HBA

6.10.3 Unraid version. I was attempting to add another 8TB sas drive to this card in unraid. Was having issues viewing drive so I did some moved cable hooked only to this drive to 1 of the1 free ports on the card for this drive and looked at settings for card from super micro bios where I could see card. I don't recall changing it out of HBA mode but might of. Anyway I now have all the drives saying Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout but parity is valid and fine. I'm trying this post solution right now to take 1 drive out and then back in and rebuild. It is rebuilding disk 1 now. Not sure if this is the right thing to do or if other direction I should go?

Edited by Snowman
Add unraid version

Check filesystem results:

xfs_repair status:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!! attempting to find secondary superblock... ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................found candidate secondary superblock... verified secondary superblock... would write modified primary superblock Primary superblock would have been modified. Cannot proceed further in no_modify mode. Exiting now.

So from this I assume I should put -L in?

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!! attempting to find secondary superblock... ....................................................................................................found candidate secondary superblock... verified secondary superblock... writing modified primary superblock - reporting progress in intervals of 15 minutes Phase 2 - using internal log - zero log... Log inconsistent (didn't find previous header) failed to find log head zero_log: cannot find log head/tail (xlog_find_tail=5) ERROR: The log head and/or tail cannot be discovered. Attempt to mount the filesystem to replay the log or use the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.

So I run the -L and then had to run just normal xfs repair. It appears it put everything in lost and found. Do I have to move it back or how does that work?

Do I have to rebuild each disk by removing from array and then add again to start rebuild and then xfs repair or can I just do repair of what is correct steps?

3 hours ago, Snowman said:

Do I have to move it back or how does that work?

You'd need to manually move everything back.

3 hours ago, Snowman said:

Do I have to rebuild each disk by removing from array and then add again to start rebuild and then xfs repair or can I just do repair of what is correct steps?

You'd need to rebuild each disk one at a time, but because of the filesystem corruption that occurred with disk1 it makes me think that the HBA damaged more than just the MBR, so there might be some Dara loss, this is one of the reasons we don't recommend using RAID controllers with Unraid. 

Ok I will give it a go. On Disk 2 rebuild now. Have feeling this is going to be lots in lost in found like disk 1, the whole disk contents is in lost and found on Disk 1. Hard to put it back in place where the placeholder folder or anything are not there anymore.

As far as HBA, hard to connect lots of drives without HBA but have seen Adaptec cards might be the culprit.

On my pool disks do I do the same repair and rebuild process as they are in same status?

My disk 3 XFS repair goes no where, stuck on "attempting to find secondary superblock.... unable to verify superblock continuing" forever. This is in -n mode. I'll let it run longer but don't think it will fing secondary block. What do I do from here if it doesn't get past Phase 1?

On 8/31/2022 at 9:19 AM, JorgeB said:

you can see how the next disk would turnout by unassigning the disk and starting the array and letting Unraid emulate the disk, if it doesn't mount check filesystem on the emulated disk, and if you are happy with the results then rebuild.

Whatever shows in the emulated disk is the same that will be on the rebuilt disk, so you can check before rebuilding.

I have a couple of cache drives, 1 is a single cache drive that is "unmountable: unspported partition layout" from my crash the other is a pool of 2 drives that says: unmountable: Invalid pool config. Can I recover the pool somehow with the 2 drives or not sure why I got this error on the 2 drive pool? The single drive I will likely pull and back up for UFS Explorer but thinking the 2 drive pool might be something related to this post but not sure:

image.thumb.png.b52a36f03b071cade2477d508128f0d9.png

Other update-I have backed up Disk 3 and will format and move data back using UFS Explorer

56 minutes ago, Snowman said:

The single drive I will likely pull and back up for UFS Explorer but thinking the 2 drive pool might be something related to this post but not sure:

No, it's not related at all, no valid btrfs filesystem is being detected on those devices at boot, it means they doesn't exist, because they were wiped or damaged, in this case likely damaged by the RAID controller, which likely damaged the MBR for the devices and destroyed the filesystem superblock that exists in the beginning of the devices.