Optional USB device in VM (ERROR: DID NOT FIND USB DEVICE)

Lacy

I have a USB switch that I switch between 3 computers, including one Unraid machine.

I want USB devices to work with my Windows VM _when_ they are connected, but not have to be connected.

Currently the VM will not boot without them connected. If I boot with them then I am able to use the switch without issues.

Is this possible, to have a USB device associated with a VM, but not have to be present in order to boot the machine?

Edited by Lacy
update title
  • Lacy changed the title to Optional USB device in VM (ERROR: DID NOT FIND USB DEVICE)
3 hours ago, Lacy said:

Is this possible, to have a USB device associated with a VM, but not have to be present in order to boot the machine?

BTW, my reply only applies to this part, I have no idea what happens if the VM boots wihtout the device present, then you add it later. But I assume that the plugins Squid mentions would solve for that part.

I've raised a feature request to have the optional startup policy added to the VM form view:

2 hours ago, Jorgen said:

But I assume that the plugins Squid mentions would solve for that part.

My USB Manager plugin can connect at startup of the VM, or hotplugging a USB can be mapped to a VM. Mappings ca be by device or port and it support same vendor product IDs.

Specify a hub mapping to a VM and any device connect to that hub gets connected to the VM.

You can use the USBIP addon to use or allow remote machines access to USB devices.

image.thumb.png.ca7b0dfcb9e53de89c5a5340b55bbbd5.png

image.thumb.png.253fd316e63802737e002a948f31db83.png

• 3 weeks later...