Meet Gadamer

Hello, Let me introduce you to my latest family member the server Gadamer:

• Intel Core i7 10700K 3,8GHz (+ Noctua NH-D15)
  • Gigabyte W480M Vision W
  • BEYIMEI PCIE 4X SATA Kort 16 Portar, 6 Gbit / s SATA 3.0 PCI Express Kort
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2666MHz 2x16GB
  • Western Digital Red Pro 6TB
    • x1 in the parity (will soon add one more)
    • x10 in the array (room for 4 more)
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB x2 (pools for the Apps, system and the VM:s)
  • Seagate IronWolf 1TB (pool for the cache, downloads and stuff, will change to 2 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB and RAID them)
  • Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 760W
  • Noctua NF-A14 5V PWM 140mm (3 in the front and 1 in the back)
  • Fractal Design Define 7 XL
  • (I might get a GPU later to relieve the CPU of the transcoding)

Hey. This is my very first build. I’ve have been an Apple user since 1997 and haven’t been tinkering a lot with with software and “programming” before. It will mostly handle my Media and the heart of it all will be Plex and the …arrs. I’ve never done anything like this before, which of course means that I’ve f*cked up a couple of times and started over completely. In retrospect some of the times it might have been an overreaction (but I’ve been dealing with both McOS and Windows during the 90s, where I learned that if you get into problems then format and start over). I have learned so much and I have now a very clear picture of how I want things to work.

As stated above I’ve been using Plex as my main media service. But I got a Zappiti Pro 4k hdr  a while back so I will use a Windows 10 VM to run the server app for it. It feels a bit like overkill, but I guess that sooner or later I will find more uses for that VM. I will though keep a Plex Server instance on the computer, so my friends still can reach the material.

I’ve gotten the ..arrs work together with the downloaders perfectly thanks to Trash Guides. Next step was to make a homepage available on the web. My plan was to use Organizr as a homepage, thru NGINX and Cloudflare a´la IBRACORP. And it was here I meet my latest hurdle. Three things happened: I got into problems with permissions and ownership (which turned out to have an easy fix = tools in unRaid and I learned that if the Cache is full then the system will be read only). I couldn’t make a full (strict) connection to Cloudflare and NGINX made the loading of both Jellyseerr and the …arrs were slow. It appears not to be an unusual problem, and some have solved it by shutting down DoS in their ASUS router. So, I have bought a new more powerful router so perhaps it will function better now, everything runs a bit better now.

I think that’s all for now. Except that I haven’t found any time to do the reinstallation of the apps. I have been running Plex, but otherwise I’ve kept the system clean. Hopefully I’ll get around to it next week.

Pics will come later, I'm not at home, but having a slow day at work today. ;) 

Edited by Smib666
  • 3 weeks later...