Encrypt files / backup that only a specific user can access and not root

Lodiah

Hi everyone,

My wife has tons of small / old external HDD with personal data that she really don't want to lose but doesn't realise how likely they are to stop working in the near future.

It freaks me out to look at that pile of disks on her desk and knowing that there is no backup anywhere. 

I wanted to backup everything on our home server but there are some private stuff going back decades on there and she doesn't like the idea of me having access to everything (which I understand).

What would be the best way (if any) to be able to store that data on the server without the root user having access to it? 

Thanks for the help !

One solution is using something like Veracrypt. Essentially, it creates an encrypted virtual drive. You create this drive once - any size - with a decent passphrase or key, and then mount it on the client machine (Windows, Linux, MacOS etc. - even FreeBSD 🙂 ). On Windows, you will see it as a drive letter. 

You can create any number of these as you like - and mount more than one, simultaneously. One big v-drive to back them all up, or several smaller ones.

Without the passphrase, you will not be able to access the contents.