Mac Issues with UnRAID

Having several issues with UnRAID on MacOS (Monterey)

1. VERY slow access times, even to read large directories.  I run a Windows VM on the same hardware, and it's not even a close contest.  At times accessing files and directories from the Mac Finder is almost unusable.

2. Sometimes shares cannot be accessed at all.  I create a directory, and then I try to copy a file to it, and it says no permissions.  Or, I'll save some files from an App (such as Photos) to that same directory, but Finder won't open it. (Red dot). Meanwhile, using the same UI/PW under Windows VM works just fine.

I typically connect to UnRAID over SMB.  

How do I start to fix this?  (Am I the only one with these issues?)

One big problem was smb multi channel. Make sure its set to no in settings>smb and enhanced macOS interoperability is set to yes. Another possibility is entering this in smb extras-

[global]
   fruit:metadata = stream
   fruit:posix_rename = yes
   readdir_attr:aapl_max_access = no
   readdir_attr:aapl_finder_info = no
   readdir_attr:aapl_rsize = no

You will need to stop your array to change smb extras.

These settings have helped some users having issues.

• Thanks 2

Seems better, but still really slow on folders with 1,000 to 5,000 files.  I'll keep reading those links.  

Has anyone tried NFS mounts?  (I've never gotten them to work).  If so, is the performance better?

UPDATE:  THE vfs objects line was the magic sauce.  (I had a typo in that, once that was in there, bam)

I'm thrilled!  THANK YOU.

Edited by Ellis34771
  • 6 months later...

I am still running into issues, on 6.11.5.  client machine is M1 Max studio (Ventura) with 10gbe to switch to server.  I have entered all the smb settings from the two posts and still when I access a folder with lots of files or folders, the Mac basically network stalls.