unable to mount a Unraid Share from a linux ubuntu VM machine

I have been having issues trying to create a mount to my unraid server.

I have check the permissions, and at the moment there are set to public

I then went to my linix VM machine and type in the following commands

istc4adm@torrent:~$ mount -t cifs -o rw,vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.credentials                                                                                           //192.168.1.9/Users /media/share
mount.cifs: permission denied: no match for /media/share found in /etc/fstab
istc4adm@torrent:~$ ^C
istc4adm@torrent:~$ mount -t cifs //192.168.1.9/Users /home/istc4adm/appdata
mount.cifs: permission denied: no match for /home/istc4adm/appdata found in /etc/fstab
istc4adm@torrent:~$

I haven't done anything yet in the fstab as I wanted to make sure the that commands were right first.

I have checked my SMB settings and there are enable and set to yes

image.png.06399867e23d8faca7b4c6aae851e308.png

I know that I am on the right path for the command, as I was able to mount a share on my QNAP with no issues.

can someone please point me to a document or source that explains why I am having issues ?

45 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your Unraid system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread so we can see how you have it configured.

also, do the directories you are trying to use as mount points at the Linux end exist?

thanks for the reply.    first thing,  you loss me on the Linux end  ? what do you ,mean by this.  my quest is that I havn't got one.

and the second thing, please see my diagnostics file

tower-diagnostics-20220910-1159.zip

5 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

irst thing,  you loss me on the Linux end  ? what do you ,mean by this.  my quest is that I havn't got one.

You said that you are using a iinux VM ?   I wanted to check that the folder within the VM that you are trying to mount the share to actually exists as the error messages suggest it may not.

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You need root perms/sudo to mount.

sorry I just look at the first positing and I see that I forgot to add the following

Last login: Sun Sep 11 06:58:33 2022 from 192.168.1.17
istc4adm@torrent:~$ sudo mount.cifs //192.168.1.9/Users /media/share  -o username=root,password=PASSWORD
[sudo] password for istc4adm:
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)
istc4adm@torrent:~$

5 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

-o username=root,password=PASSWORD

This is not a valid Login for a SMB share.  See here:

image.png.6fc677e0bbd283f9c4d6bbe9b0ae42b0.png

You need to setup a share user either on the    User       tab on the toolbar OR  under the   Settings   >>>   User Preferences   >>>  Users    (Which place depends on your previous setup choices.)   You then have to assign that user to the Unraid share  (Users ---- apparently in your case)  with the proper permissions.

Edited by Frank1940
"setup a share user either on" was "setup a user either on"

thanks Frank1940.  that fixed the issue, I didn't realise that the root account don't allow me to connect to the Unraid server. 

now onto onto the fstab command.     :--)

Update:  ok what Frank1940 said works, but then I ran into a differant issue.

when I set the permissions on a user share to be secure and then define my user permissions to have full access - I discovered that the root user only has read only.

is there a way to give both users full access ?

Edited by chris_netsmart

I suspect one possible way would be to edit the smb.conf, comment out the invalid user line and restart Samba.  (You would have to do this each time Unraid is restarted...)   Remember that root user is denied  access by default because it is a security risk.  (All security protocols for any OS firmly state that no login with root privileges should ever be used for routine-- day-to-day --usage of a system!  If such a user exists, it provides a quick entry to point for malware and other malfeasance activity.)

What is the reason that you require root to have access via SMB?  Reuse of a password?  Use a different user name with that password.  (Still a security issue but at least not one with root privileges...)