PSU Died - Missing Devices

Tygger

34 minutes ago, Tygger said:

now I think I need to cancel my order for a non-modular? 

Why? Modular PSU's have their upsides, especially for systems with glass sides. For servers though, the fewer removable connectors the better. Every non-solid connection is a point for possible failure.

The point trurl was making was that your description matches exactly a scenario we've seen a bunch of times, somebody swaps PSU's but leaves the modular drive power cables connected to the drives, and as soon as the replacement supply is turned on, the wrong voltages are applied to the drives frying their PCB's, causing them to go missing.

12 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Why? Modular PSU's have their upsides, especially for systems with glass sides. For servers though, the fewer removable connectors the better. Every non-solid connection is a point for possible failure.

The point trurl was making was that your description matches exactly a scenario we've seen a bunch of times, somebody swaps PSU's but leaves the modular drive power cables connected to the drives, and as soon as the replacement supply is turned on, the wrong voltages are applied to the drives frying their PCB's, causing them to go missing.

Thanks. Missed the point. 

6 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Did you provide power to the drives the same way as before ? (SATA power, Molex, etc.)

It is possible some drives are disabled via the 3.3V pin.

Yes, powered the same way.

4 hours ago, Lolight said:

It's not a quality model (low end).

EVGA is a reputable brand, but it has its share of marginal low-cost PSU models which is the case with other reputable brands as well.

This list should help:

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Appreciate it. Will take a look.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

16 hours ago, Tygger said:

I did just order a EVGA 850BQ

I am not saying this is not a good PSU but I ordered an EVGA 500BQ for a light-use desktop PC and 4 weeks later it was completely dead and would not power on.  Paper clip test verified it.  A few other reviews mention the same problem.  The inexpensive EVGA BQ models are on my "avoid" list now.

Fortunately, the Amazon return/refund process was quick and painless.  I ordered a Thermaltake replacement which continues to work well.

I have Corsair SFX Gold PSUs in both my unRAID servers.

Edited by Hoopster

The drives don't show up in BIOS. I've tried swapping the power and data from a drive that does work to no avail. Ithen removed the non-working HDDs and installed in a different machine and it did show up in BIOS. 

To recap, the SDD and 500gb HDD shows up, but the two 8TB HDDs don't. 

Edited by Tygger
2 hours ago, Tygger said:

To recap, the SDD and 500gb HDD shows up, but the two 8TB HDDs don't. 

What are the HDDs ? Did you check that it is not the 3.3V disable issue ? Maybe your old PSU did not provide 3.3V on the SATA power cables and the new one does.

The easiest way to find out is a Molex to SATA power splitter.

How the old PSU did ? Is it possible that it fried the drive at the same time ?