During Flash Drive replacement incorrect Parity drive used (Version 6.10.3 2022-06-14)

Nivin37
Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi,

After a six weeks shutdown the Flash Drive failed upon restart and needed to be replaced.

During the replacement process one of the data drives was used as the parity drive, I was able to stop it after a few minutes.

The array is now back up with the right parity drive, however I now have this one unmounted drive.

My question is, have I lost all the data on that drive or can I get it back and if so how.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Nivin37 said:

the right parity drive

How do you know which is the right parity drive?

Go to Settings and disable Docker and VM Manager. Don't use your server for anything until we try to recover from this.

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Unassign disk5 and start the array, then post new diags, leave actual disk5 untouched for now.

Then don't do anything else without further advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Data rebuild was successful and there looks to be no ongoing issues with this little event.  

I did workout why I did not have an up to date backup of the Flash Drive, as I always thought I was good with keeping up with backups.

I had taken a backup of the Flash Drive using the GUI some time ago and this was what I ended up using.

However after this was done along came the My Server app and I started using it to perform Flash Drive backups instead of using the GUI. This in its self is not an issue, but how they were saved is the issue.

I use a MBP and have Safari to expand any zip file I download, so what do I get when I perform a Flash Drive backup from the My Server page, I get a folder not a zip file. At the time I did not notice the difference and just archived the folder, but when it came time to rebuild the Flash Drive I was unable to rebuild using the folder. I did try to zip up the folder and use it to rebuild but that failed and I just moved on thinking I was doing somthing wrong with the backup process.

So I have changed Safari so it will not unzip any file I download, thinking about it this is also more secure way of handling files as well. I was just lazy and wanted the brouser to do the work for me...:)

Again thanks for the support...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Nivin37 said:

unzip any file I download

Does it not save the zip file somewhere before it opens it? Have you looked for the zip in the folder where downloads usually go?

This has been an ongoing issue when I ask for diagnostics because new users will often try to attach every separate file in the unzipped diagnostics zip file, which nobody wants, and I have to delete all those separate attachments and get them to try again.