can array be running while replacing a disk?

huladaddy

If parity was perfectly valid when the drive failed, the emulated drive is still available with all data intact and usable, albeit with a speed penalty as it needs all the remaining drives to accomplish the emulation. Rebuilding the drive can also be done while the array is up and usable.

If the failed drive slot is showing unmountable, that needs to be fixed before you rebuild.

Post diagnostics and don't proceed without explicit instructions if any of this doesn't make sense to you.

20 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

If the failed drive slot is showing unmountable, that needs to be fixed before you rebuild.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't quite understand the above. The message that shows is that the "Device is disable, contents emulated", which I understand. So, if I shut down and replace the drive, can I start the array while the new drive is rebuilt.

I don't know what you mean by "slot is showing unmountable".

10 hours ago, huladaddy said:

if I shut down and replace the drive, can I start the array while the new drive is rebuilt.

It won't rebuild the drive until you start the array, so you have to start the array to even get the drive rebuilt.

10 hours ago, huladaddy said:

don't quite understand the above.

so then you should

10 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Post diagnostics and don't proceed without explicit instructions if any of this doesn't make sense to you.

• Like 1