(SOLVED!) Adding drive to Array Problems.

googen75

I have been using Unraid for a year or so and this is my first problem. I have initially setup up the server with a 4TB paraity drive and 1x4TB, 3x3TB, 2x2TB and 1x 1TB data drives.

I bought an brand new 4TB WD Red Pro drive to add to my array to increase my available storage. I have watched several videos showing others adding drives to the array. 

I installed the Pre-Clear Disk plugin when I first setup up the system. (it was recommended). The Pre-Clear plugin is no longer available now wit the latest stable version. 

I downloaded another Pre-Clear plugin from the Binhex repository. I used the plugin to preclear the new drive. It was succesful and took approxiametly 19.5 hours. :(

I was now going to add the newly precleared disk to the array.

I stopped all of my docker containers and stopped the array.

I then selected the next open slot in the array and chose the new 4TB drive.

I restarted the array.

Now after the array is back up and running the new drives is not showing in the array in ANY slot. It is still listed in the Unassigned Devices section. The status indicator is not green or blue, but is grayed out and the status that is displayed to the right of the drive ID is a grayed out rectangle with the word ARRAY in the box.

There is not any documentation on this GRAYED Out ARRAY indicator, so I do not know if this is normal. All the videos I come across, none present this how I am seeing this. The others are getting a format option/warning. I am not getting any of that. 

image.png.2aa9353d680d845f584f20d34e9a6fe8.png

You can see there is not a device 7 in my slot list, even though I selected this (sdl) drive for that slot when I stopped the array and it is all grayed out.

Thanks for any help if I am doing something wrong.

Edited by googen75

I don't maybe MAC addresses, serial numbers, IP address, domain names and service tags. They are all over in the logs. I understand about everyone volunteering and I appreciate all of the hard work. I routinely praise and suggest Unraid to others. I am just a tad cautious about sharing information.

11 minutes ago, googen75 said:

the drives are given labels, this drive was given (sdl)

That label can and will change if the drive disconnects then reconnects, can also change on reboot and often will if drives are added.

12 minutes ago, googen75 said:

I just don't what this image.png.ef2371d5819c4ac86512b762b489d4fc.png means? 

That means Unassigned Devices plugin thinks the drive was previously in the array so it doesn't want you to do anything with it by mistake.

• googen75 changed the title to (SOLVED!) Adding drive to Array Problems.

Solved! Did a reboot. I usually don't shut the server down. It is on 220V 5kva UPS and the house on a backup generator for when we a power failure. Now everything is playing nicely.  I guess having the hot swappable drives are perfect in unraid. Simple fix. Reboot next time I have to add more storage.

Thanks for everyone who replied and offered advice.