Oops. What have I broken (swap file related?)

OK, I confess, I've been fiddling and I should know better  ::)

I've recently replaced my PSU and added an 8 port Supermicro controller, both to allow future expansion but in the short term to allow me to add an SSD to get mySQL & my XBMC database on unRAID (without having to spin up discs). Before buying the SSD I wanted to do a 'proof of concept' by setting this up on a mounted USB key (a few weeks ago now). I only got part of the way through before I ran out of time and so never finished off what I started.

Roll on to yesterday.......

I had to shut the server down because of scheduled work on the electricity grip in my neighbourhood. When I came to power back on last night I couldn't access any shares or the web interface but I could telnet in. The syslog (attached) shows various processes being killed (oom_kill_process) after oom-killer was invoked at 23:06:42 and I'm thinking it's because I (foolishly) removed the USB key on which the swap file was set. Replacing the key does nothing (presumably it doesn't auto remount). Am I right that the swap file is the issue, or is something else causing the problem?

Since I cannot access the interface to either re-mount the USB, or disable swap I'm a bit lost. Is there a config file I can modify to prevent initiation of the swap file or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks in advance for any help!

syslog.txt

1. There is no swap file unless you add one.

2. the flash drive is one of the worst places to put a swap file, since flash drives only allow a certain number of "writes" before they wear out.

3. You must never unplug the flash drive while the server is in operation.  It is a mounted file system.

4. The out-of-memory seems to be a "dd" command.  Depending on what you were doing, it might have used up all your RAM, or, it could have been your mySQL install that used up all the RAM... or some combination.

Lastly, this is better addressed under the customizations forum.    I'm going to move it there.

Joe L.

1. There is no swap file unless you add one.

2. the flash drive is one of the worst places to put a swap file, since flash drives only allow a certain number of "writes" before they wear out.

3. You must never unplug the flash drive while the server is in operation.  It is a mounted file system.

4. The out-of-memory seems to be a "dd" command.  Depending on what you were doing, it might have used up all your RAM, or, it could have been your mySQL install that used up all the RAM... or some combination.

Lastly, this is better addressed under the customizations forum.    I'm going to move it there.

Joe L.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

1. I thought I had added a swap file set up at some stage, but perhaps this is a red-herring.

2. I know. As mentioned, I was only intending on using the USB to check it worked in principle before buying an SSD.

3. I did not remove the USB key while the server was on, although I see how my statement could be read that was. I removed the USB key before turning the server back on (because it often gets confused which drive to boot from and I didn't have a monitor attached to check), and in hindsight assumed doing so caused this issue.

4. Not sure I follow but I'll research before asking any more silly questions....

Thanks again