Missing Shares Update?

Windlasher
Go to solution Solved by Windlasher,

Not necessarily related to your problem, but your appdata and system shares have files on the array. You want these all on a fast pool and configured to stay there so Docker performance isn't affected by slower array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

You do have a number of .cfg files in config/shares on flash that no longer correspond to any user shares but that isn't unusual since they aren't deleted when a share is.

I don't see anything that would indicate anything wrong.

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Which share?

12 hours ago, trurl said:

Not necessarily related to your problem, but your appdata and system shares have files on the array. You want these all on a fast pool and configured to stay there so Docker performance isn't affected by slower array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

You do have a number of .cfg files in config/shares on flash that no longer correspond to any user shares but that isn't unusual since they aren't deleted when a share is.

I don't see anything that would indicate anything wrong.

Thanks  Ill move those.

MV2_TVShow_Share is the one currently that keeps dropping off.. Seems to happen when writing lots of data from multiple computers. Since I use this as a backup server you see why this can be an issue.

11 hours ago, Windlasher said:

MV2_TVShow_Share

Hard to tell from diagnostics since the share names are anonymized, but there are 2 shares with names that have that same first and last character and are that same length, and they both have contents. I wonder if you don't have 2 shares with the same name but different upper/lower case. Since linux is case-sensitive, these would be different shares to Unraid, but since SMB isn't case-sensitive, only one of these would show up on the network.

Post a screenshot of User Shares page.

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Not seeing anything logged that would explain that, how do you lose access to that share?

While copying files, i get a notification in windows that says the share is unavailable. If I click on the share it just freezes for a while and then gives me the same notification. Then If I go into unraid shares page that share is missing but all the other ones are there.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Hard to tell from diagnostics since the share names are anonymized, but there are 2 shares with names that have that same first and last character and are that same length, and they both have contents. I wonder if you don't have 2 shares with the same name but different upper/lower case. Since linux is case-sensitive, these would be different shares to Unraid, but since SMB isn't case-sensitive, only one of these would show up on the network.

Post a screenshot of User Shares page.

Screenshot 2022-09-16 094355.png

2 hours ago, trurl said:

I guess MV2_Backup_Share is the other share that looks the same anonymized.

Diagnostics shows MV2_TVShow_Share with files on disks 1,2,3,4

These diagnostics were taken when that share wasn't showing on the User Shares page?

This scrrenshot was taken after  reboot. When the share drops from the network, the TVShow share would not be listed here at all.

Would renaming the shares fix this problem?I name them this way to differentiate server shares. I have Mediavault1, MediaVault2,

36 minutes ago, Windlasher said:

This scrrenshot was taken after  reboot. When the share drops from the network, the TVShow share would not be listed here at all.

Not what I was asking, and maybe you already answered, but just wanted to clarify.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

These diagnostics were taken when that share wasn't showing on the User Shares page?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Not what I was asking, and maybe you already answered, but just wanted to clarify.

No - I had already rebooted so the share was showing when I took the diagnostics. When it happens again, I will immediately grab a new one before rebooting.  I have also just renamed the shares to simplify them with disticnt names. Not sure that was an issue but I remember reading a post about share names needing to be a certain way w/o special characters so I guess it couldnt hurt.

On 9/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, Windlasher said:

No - I had already rebooted so the share was showing when I took the diagnostics. When it happens again, I will immediately grab a new one before rebooting.  I have also just renamed the shares to simplify them with disticnt names. Not sure that was an issue but I remember reading a post about share names needing to be a certain way w/o special characters so I guess it couldnt hurt.

Took a few days but it just crashed.  I went right to diagnostic and it froze here on this line.

unraid-api report | todos >'/mediavault2-diagnostics-20220919-1014/system/unraid-api.txt'

Then the downloading diagnostics window just closed and Nothing downloaded.

So I had to reboot to get a diagnostic.

mediavault2-diagnostics-20220919-1037.zip

12 hours ago, Windlasher said:

Done

Interesting side notes: 

1: Turned off cache for those drives and just moved 6 TB of data across drives without incident. This would not have been possible before without crashing. 

2: I had moved the cache around between drives to see if it made a difference and it still crashed. Not saying its fixed but it seems better.

3: Never had this problem on my home built server, just these proliants. It may have something to do with the internal slots holding the cache drives, but I dunno enough about it to try and figure it out.

Ill keep moving data for a bit and see if it stays running and report back in a few days.