Broken thumb drive need to do a new install I have questions

givmedew

2 hours ago, givmedew said:

it will find all my information

It will find all your data if you do things right. It won't have any of your configuration, which is any settings made in the webUI. It also won't have your license, which you will need to transfer to a new flash drive.

You must always have a current backup of flash.

On 9/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, trurl said:

It will find all your data if you do things right. It won't have any of your configuration, which is any settings made in the webUI. It also won't have your license, which you will need to transfer to a new flash drive.

You must always have a current backup of flash.

Okay, so it turns out the drive does work.  Something else is wrong.   I think the configuration is messed up.  Is there a way to make everything like factory default like starting from scratch except not loosing my data?

I'm going to migrate the key to a new a drive but I'd like to essentially start from scratch.  I'm going to replace the cache drive too because I have a feeling its going bad.

If you make a new install on that same flash drive, you won't have to transfer the license. But you will need to keep the license .key file so you can put it in the config folder. Then you will be exactly where

On 9/15/2022 at 12:46 PM, trurl said:

It will find all your data if you do things right. It won't have any of your configuration, which is any settings made in the webUI.

If you also keep config/super.dat and config/pools folder from the flash drive, it will also know your disk assignments.

User shares are simply the combined top level folders from array and pools, so if you have your data you will have your user shares, but they will have default settings unless you keep config/shares folder.