lost root login in with win 11 shares folder

robti

Hi i tried to open my share folders which has been working fine and today i got refused and had to input my root name and password which was access denied, i then logged in with my user name and password which got me in. i am able to log into the web ui with the root details just not windows folders, i then went into the web ui and reinputted my root password and saved it, can anyone look at my diagnostics and see anything ?

Thanks

broxi-diagnostics-20220916-1219.zip

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You cannot use the root credentials for shares, it's for the GUI/SSH only, shares user access is controlled in the share settings.

hi i have had it this way for the last few weeks since i set my system up go into windows and then network and click the server as root and im in, just stopped working today, maybe i set it up wrong at the start

root was considered an anonymous guest user for network file access, so could only read/write public shares, only read secure shares, no access to private shares. Really just treated the same as any random username that wasn't in Unraid User list.

Not sure root is even allowed anymore for network file access.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

root was considered an anonymous guest user for network file access, so could only read/write public shares, only read secure shares, no access to private shares. Really just treated the same as any random username that wasn't in Unraid User list.

Some other clues to this is in the Unraid webUI.

On the Users page, root is the only user with Management Access, and other users you create are the only users with Share Access.

And, if you take a look at SMB Security Settings for a specific share, you will see root is not a user you can grant access.