Not disclosed in the release notes

Go to solution Solved by limetech,

Packages were removed such as glibc without any notice in the release notes. Only what has been updated is listed. If a package has been removed, it should also be listed.  There should be a place that defines all the packages that are included in the distribution. This is important information to have since NerdPack and DevPack are no longer supported and the user now has to maintain their own additional slackware packages.

There was a new change in writing to .bash_profile while booting however it was not mentioned in the release notes and those of us that append to .bash_profile from the go file get overwritten by the change.

@limetech

Edited by JoeUnraidUser
On 9/16/2022 at 7:18 PM, JoeUnraidUser said:

Packages were removed such as glibc without any notice in the release notes.

What version of Unraid are you coming from, and what version did you update to? 

Hmm... what makes you think glibc was removed? It is pretty critical to Linux and needs to be there. I highly recommend that you not change the version glibc that is installed.

You can see all the installed packages by opening a web terminal and running this command:

ls -al /var/log/packages/*

the ones that say 0 bytes are included in OS, the ones with with larger sizes are installed by plugins or by putting them in /boot/extra

TBH, I highly recommend that you install as few custom packages as possible. It is better to do custom things in a VM, so you don't risk breaking Unraid itself by installing an incompatible package.

There was a new change in writing to .bash_profile while booting however it was not mentioned in the release notes and those of us that append to .bash_profile from the go file get overwritten by the change.

Please provide an example of what used to work (in what version of Unraid?) and what no longer works (in what version of Unraid?). Also, please upload your diagnostics.zip file (from Tools -> Diagnostics) as that may give some clues as to what is going on.

8 hours ago, ljm42 said:

What version of Unraid are you coming from, and what version did you update to?

I updated from 6.11.0-rc3 to 6.11.0-rc5.

8 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Hmm... what makes you think glibc was removed? It is pretty critical to Linux and needs to be there. I highly recommend that you not change the version glibc that is installed.

You can see all the installed packages by opening a web terminal and running this command:

ls -al /var/log/packages/*

the ones that say 0 bytes are included in OS, the ones with with larger sizes are installed by plugins or by putting them in /boot/extra

I use a number of PERL modules.  After the install of 6.11.0-rc5 I tried updating the PERL modules and it was getting the following error:

fatal error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory

I finally chased down the problem to glibc.  I know that it was working before.  While on 6.11.0-rc2 I had reloaded all the PERL modules from scratch and did not get this error.

The reason I had reloaded all the PERL modules from scratch was part of the process of figuring out which packages I needed to put in /boot/extra that were being provided by NerdPack and DevPack.  glibc was not one of the needed packages.

Since you told me where to find the installed packages, I removed glibc-2.36-x86_64-3.txz from /boot/extra and rebooted to see if glibc is there.

I see that glibc-2.36-x86_64-3_LT is installed.

I went ahead and reloaded my PERL modules from scratch and I get the same error:

fatal error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory

So, I guess glibc-2.36-x86_64-3_LT is not loading sys/types.h correctly.

I put glibc-2.36-x86_64-3.txz back into /boot/extra, rebooted, and now everything is working fine again.

8 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Please provide an example of what used to work (in what version of Unraid?) and what no longer works (in what version of Unraid?).

I have been running the following script from the go file for years with no problems.  One of the things it does is appends to .bash_profile.  After logging into Unraid using SSH I tried to run an alias I set in .bash_profile called bin and it said command not found.  I typed alias and saw it wasn't set.  I checked .bash_profile and it had been overwritten.  I finally figured out that sometime during the boot process .bash_profile is now being overwritten.

#!/bin/bash

if [ -f /root/.bash_profile.orig ]
then
    cp /root/.bash_profile.orig /root/.bash_profile
else
    cp /root/.bash_profile /root/.bash_profile.orig
fi

(
cat <<"EOF"

# alias
alias bin="/usr/bin/ls -al /root/bin"

# Perl
PERLHOME="/root/perl5"; export PERLHOME;
PERL5LIB="$PERLHOME/lib/perl5"; export PERL5LIB;
PERL_MB_OPT="--install_base $PERLHOME"; export PERL_MB_OPT;
PERL_MM_OPT="INSTALL_BASE=$PERLHOME"; export PERL_MM_OPT;
PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT="$PERLHOME"; export PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT;

# Path
PATH=.:/root/bin:$PERLHOME/bin:$PATH

EOF
) >> /root/.bash_profile

ln -s /boot/config/perl5 /root/perl5

rsync -hrltgoD --delete --chown=root:root --chmod=ugo=rwx "/boot/config/bin/" /root/bin

modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

I fixed it by adding a sleep 10 to the beginning of the script.

It would have been nice to know this change in the release notes.

• Like 1
  • Solution

Packages were removed such as glibc without any notice in the release notes. Only what has been updated is listed. If a package has been removed, it should also be listed.  There should be a place that defines all the packages that are included in the distribution. This is important information to have since NerdPack and DevPack are no longer supported and the user now has to maintain their own additional slackware packages.

@limetech

First, you are running an -rc, you should post this in the Preleases Bug Report section.

re: glibc - was not removed, just updated.  But 'stock' Unraid OS strips things like source code and header files which are unnecessary for normal usage (and always has).  The kind of modifications you are doing are outside the scope of what we support.  NerdPack and DevPack are deprecated because no one wants to maintain them.  We did include directly in Unraid OS packages required from some of the more popular plugins which previously required NerdPack to be installed.  Perl is one of them.  If you are having issues with how we have perl installed, please post in the Prerelease forum and we can address it.

re: .bash_profile - that was modified to get rid of adding "." to PATH since it's a common security hole.  It's not "overwritten" during boot so I don't know what could be causing any issues you are having with that.