Root Partition is full - can no longer update unraid

Falc410
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I am running unRAID 6.9.2. First installation was unRAID v4 something. I am using a 16GB USB thumbdrive directly connected to the motherboard.

I just found out that I can not update unRAID any longer, the download fails because there is not enough space available. I am running two identical servers (one for backup) and both have the same partition layout.

I already searched but I can not remember if I set up the partition table myself like this or how to resize it on a running system.

Apparently I am the first person to encounter this problem as a search turned up nothing. What can I do? I clearly need  a larger root partition.

grafik.thumb.png.72a968feda69ad1c5e5cc7f8add862f9.png

• Solution

How much RAM do you have on the server?    You need a minimum of 4GB to successfully update via the GUI.   If you have less than that you will need to use the Manual upgrade process as described in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

• Like 1

Thanks. I totally forgot about this, since I set up unRAID many years ago. Yes, the Server really only has 2 GB of RAM. I just ordered another RAM module (maximum for this mainboard are 4GB sadly).

Still it is weird that the download isn't store somewhere else for the update. It should be downloaded and extracted to the FAT32 partition (/dev/sda1) imho.

15 minutes ago, Falc410 said:

weird that the download isn't store somewhere else for the update

Where else could it be downloaded to? No assumptions can be made about any storage except maybe flash. That would require downloading to flash then extracting to flash, so even there you could run out of space, possibly leaving things corrupted or otherwise incomplete. Plus writing to flash should be minimized.