[thinking] of UnRaid

3N3RGY
Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Hello, I'm thinking now a long time about the UnRaid OS for my HomePC. My HomePC is a i3 with 8GB Ram, 2 HDD and not really something special. I use it with a minimal Ubuntu 20.04 for my Plex and G-Drives. I'm a expat and living Up-Country at Asia so this System is for me private use only to see some Movies or Series as I like them.

To Test the UnRaid I need a total New Install of my PC, so this is why I'm here today. I'm not sure its a clever step or not because my System is mainly used by Terminal and Plex only. The GPU is old and not really something I need to talk about it. The Most of my Content I watching on my iPad so I don't have much 4K or UHD Content or High resolution. Transcoding normally I don't need. 

What I need is a All-in-One to make my Life more easy. right now I just started using Sonarr and Radarr or a Indexer. Long time I don't know about this but its very helpful to use because I always get fast the latest Shows or Movies after release. I'm not a Programmer or someone who is really a Genius in Coding so I need a solution its easy to use.

I love my Plex and my Library because there are all of my loved content of around 20TB in Files. This I save on a couples of G-Drives. The "amount of attached Storage" is counted by Hardware I guess? So mounted by rclone and plexdrive don't cared of the License? Because I need more mounts then 6 for my GDrive. (12 or 13 gDrives I use. Not sure right now)

I was reading a little and see UnRaid is using Dockers? I really have some problems with dockers but I want use it and need to figure it out. Install a App in a Containers sounds much more better then install all plain with apt or so as a Package. 

So I want really to know, it makes sense to test and thinking of UnRaid or the Community is thinking to wait for the next year because then I will buying a Server and upgrade my Hardware. (I waiting the GPU Price is more down after the ETH Merge now).

My PC is directly connected to a Fiber router with 1GB/1GB so the connection never is a problem. Also if I stay outside my House I can well connecting my Plex and enjoy a Movie in the Car or Hotel.

UnRaid is optimized for Server, GPU and Streaming like Plex but it is also comfortable for a "Non-Genius" like me and a old PC?

Edited by 3N3RGY
a question more
On 9/18/2022 at 5:34 PM, 3N3RGY said:

UnRaid is optimized for Server, GPU and Streaming like Plex but it is also comfortable for a "Non-Genius" like me and a old PC?

unRAID got its start as a simple NAS and will always be a NAS at its core.  Yes, now its capabilities are greatly expanded with support for Docker and as a VM host.  Your unRAID system can be as simple or as complex as you need it to be.  Many unRAID users are still using it as just a NAS for serving up files to external clients.

The bottom line is that you do not have be a genius to use unRAID.  Many unRAID user had no Linux experience at all when they started.  unRAID is not a full Linux distribution and very little command line expertise is needed as most of what you need to do is in the GUI either natively or via plugins.

Edited by Hoopster

Thanks for your Answer. This was a first good info to me.

BASIC: 6 attached storage devices

This means there are a maximum of 6 attached "LOCAL" storage devices like HDD or SSD? Or i'ts the total of attached devised include virtual like Google Team Drive?

This Info I need about select the right License and make sure if I want to test UnRaidOS or not because I need to delete my running System. That's running very perfect for me and if I install new I want be sure I can use the License later as I test it.

Edited by 3N3RGY
  • Solution
9 minutes ago, 3N3RGY said:

This means there are a maximum of 6 attached "LOCAL" storage devices like HDD or SSD?

This.

You can attach as many additional drives as you want after the array has started, but the array will NOT start if the number of license limit devices are exceeded. Virtual devices don't count.

14 minutes ago, 3N3RGY said:

I need to delete my running System. That's running very perfect for me

Why? All you really need to get started is the USB stick to set up a trial Unraid install, and a single drive that can be erased and used as Disk1 in the array. As long as you don't assign any of your current drives to Unraid, it won't touch them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Model: Custom
M/B: Dell Inc. 0VNP2H Version A01 - S/N: xxx
BIOS: Dell Inc. Version A24. Dated: 07/02/2018
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GH
HVM: Active
IOMMU: Deactivate
Cache: 256 KiB, 1 MB, 6 MB
Ram: 12 GiB DDR3
Netzwerk: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500 
 eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500
Kernel: Linux 5.15.46-Unraid x86_64
OpenSSL: 1.1.1o

This was my Hardware ... I did a Test now a few days.

Maybe for some peoples Unraid would be a great thing ... for me it don't works.

My Result after this test:

pro: 

Install Unraid was easy and looks damn good with the WebUI.

Function and Apps are a easy to select and there are a lot of it

a great community with a lot of Support

cons:

sometimes the OS get like frozen and need a Hardreset to come back online

Command Line with OS Browser get stucked many times

very complicated System

No compatible to LMV or EXT3/4 formated harddrives

the shares are blocking a lot

I cancel the test and I don't buy it because for my own use, there are to much problems specially in read pre-formated drives like LMV and EXT3/4 this are very main used format systems all over the world!

Next big minus is the connection from outside of the own network. So hard to setup this.

The Shares to get access to the files is extremely to much! if I run as a root but need special rights to read a drive area don't works for me.

All is a lot to much of all. I will stop the Test and going back to a simple shell based Ubuntu Minimal Version. Here I can handle all by Comand Line easy and more comfortable.

Thank you or all to share and helping me but ... sorry Unraid isn't what I looking for.

On 10/13/2022 at 5:06 PM, 3N3RGY said:

sometimes the OS get like frozen and need a Hardreset to come back online

This is almost always related to a hardware or configuration issue; obviously this is not "normal" unraid behavior

Command Line with OS Browser get stucked many times

Not sure what this means.  Could be related whatever problem is causing the system to freeze in general.

very complicated System

That is s subjective call. Not sure what you find "complicated"

No compatible to LMV or EXT3/4 formated harddrives

True;  unraid must format hard drives before they can be used in the array.  Currently, only XFS and BTRFS are supported with native ZFS coming in the future (supported currently by plugin)

the shares are blocking a lot

I don't know what you mean by this

Thank you or all to share and helping me but ... sorry Unraid isn't what I looking for.

The forums are usually very helpful if enough information is provided to troubleshoot a problem.

Unraid is not for everyone and if it does not meet your needs, I hope you find another solution that does meet your needs