Poor Write & Network performance on share

Hitman

I have a Unraid with dual Samsung 850 Cache pool and a mix of 16TB and 18TB drives. I have it running on a VM in ESXi. It has a 10GB NIC and another VM has a 10GB NIC. Moving a single files is only hitting ~600MBits/s. I have a JBOD HBA directly attached within the VM and that's how all HDDs & SSD Are connected. I noticed that the SSDs are not being written to and even if it it direct to the drive, i would expect it to hit higher while using the drive cache, and even writing direct once drive cache is full.

I have a old dell with a few externals on it and that can saturate the 1GB link with this same one file to a single external 16TB drive. So I'm confident this should be getting equal or better performance.

I've notice that the device is not using cache, but even direct to disk it should be able to handle this as the drive can hit over 120/MBs for a synchronous write.

I've noticed that when I use another machine to transfer a single file, which looks to be hitting a different disk, it still only hits 600-700Mbps. Is there something wrong with the setup?

unraid-diagnostics-20220918-2320.zip

Edited by Hitman
Add more info.
5 hours ago, Hitman said:

but even direct to disk it should be able to handle this as the drive can hit over 120/MBs for a synchronous write.

Not with the default write mode, assuming there are no controllers bottlenecks you can get much better write speeds with turbo write, at the expense of all disks spinning up for any write, note that you have a disable disk, need to rebuild it first for turbo write to work correctly.

So let me ask the question. Why would people use UnRAID if it is so slow? I have new 16TB and 18TB drives. If I drop one more drive to Parity for RAID5 against the 18TBs and 16TBs, I could achieve 8x the speeds of unRAID. How are people getting speeds of 1GBs? Is it all due to NVMEs? What happens when writes are sustained? It goes from 1GBs to 90MB? Windows software raid can reach much higher speeds.

when writing two files

This will disable "turbo write", keep writing one file only.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

It goes from 1GBs to 90MB?

Won't that low for mid-high grade NVMe.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

Windows software raid can reach much higher speeds.

Also apply to Unraid if you use software RAID by pool / UD.

I still cannot saturate a 1GB

This won't happen, array throughput won't over single disk throughput, so for spinner disk usually in 140MB/s - 90MB/s. If you have enough RAM cache, then network transfer to RAM will saturate the 10GNIC ( 1GB/s ) and it will "slowly" writing to array.

Edited by Vr2Io
3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

other solutions that stripe drives

Require all drives be the same size, and if you lose more than parity can recover you have lost it all.

One of the reasons people use Unraid is because those problems don't apply to Unraid. Unraid can use different sized disks, and each disk is an independent filesystem that can be read all by itself on any Linux.

I will say the community support is great so far. Thanks for all the responses and feedback.

This will disable "turbo write", keep writing one file only.

I got it. I have two machines writing, so that isn't quite possible.

Won't that low for mid-high grade NVMe.

What I means is once a SSD fills, wont it write directly to the disk?

Also apply to Unraid if you use software RAID by pool / UD.

How does this work?

This won't happen, array throughput won't over single disk throughput, so for spinner disk usually in 140MB/s - 90MB/s. If you have enough RAM cache, then network transfer to RAM will saturate the 10GNIC ( 1GB/s ) and it will "slowly" writing to array.

So If If I give the device more RAM, I will see better speeds? My goal is ~150-200MB/s with two device writing and one device reading.

Require all drives be the same size, and if you lose more than parity can recover you have lost it all.

I understand, I went with UNRAID to save 16TB, but seeing the speed is making me think I might want to take the hit.

Unraid is not RAID, you'll never get same speeds as other solutions that stripe drives, you can have fast pools, array will always be limited by single disk speed.

What are Fast Pools?

To add, with one write, I still am not hitting the ~145MB/s one drive is capable of:

image.thumb.png.135e7898891846e72421b0292e689042.png

Edited by Hitman
1 hour ago, Hitman said:

What are Fast Pools?

A pool with one or more SSDs, or just a single fast NVMe device.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

To add, with one write, I still am not hitting the ~145MB/s one drive is capable of:

You are virtualizing Unraid, depending on how you are doing it might have a performance impact, or there is a controller bottleneck, post the output of:

lspci -d 1000: -vv

26 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You are virtualizing Unraid

Not officially supported, but there is a subforum for those users to support each other.

27 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

A pool with one or more SSDs, or just a single fast NVMe device.

These are outside the array, but still part of user shares. Software btrfs raid modes available for multiple disks in a pool.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

once a SSD fills, wont it write directly to the disk?

Depends on the settings for the specific user share. Cache:prefer or cache:yes shares overflow to the array if cache gets below Minimum Free setting.

Yes, it is virtualized with the HBA Adapter in PCI Passthrough to the VM.

13:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)
        DeviceName: pciPassthru0
        Subsystem: Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA Adapter
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: I/O ports at 3000 [disabled] [size=256]
        Region 1: Memory at fda40000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Region 3: Memory at fda00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [68] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE- FLReset- SlotPowerLimit 0.000W
                DevCtl: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x32, ASPM L0s, Exit Latency L0s <64ns
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes, Disabled- CommClk-
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s (ok), Width x32 (ok)
                        TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Not Supported, TimeoutDis- NROPrPrP- LTR-
                         10BitTagComp- 10BitTagReq- OBFF Not Supported, ExtFmt- EETLPPrefix-
                         EmergencyPowerReduction Not Supported, EmergencyPowerReductionInit-
                         FRS- TPHComp- ExtTPHComp-
                         AtomicOpsCap: 32bit- 64bit- 128bitCAS-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis- LTR- OBFF Disabled,
                         AtomicOpsCtl: ReqEn-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete- EqualizationPhase1-
                         EqualizationPhase2- EqualizationPhase3- LinkEqualizationRequest-
                         Retimer- 2Retimers- CrosslinkRes: unsupported
        Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data
pcilib: sysfs_read_vpd: read failed: No such device
                Not readable
        Capabilities: [a8] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [c0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=15 Masked-
                Vector table: BAR=1 offset=0000e000
                PBA: BAR=1 offset=0000f800
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
                UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UESvrt: DLP+ SDES+ TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- AdvNonFatalErr-
                CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- AdvNonFatalErr+
                AERCap: First Error Pointer: 00, ECRCGenCap+ ECRCGenEn- ECRCChkCap+ ECRCChkEn-
                        MultHdrRecCap- MultHdrRecEn- TLPPfxPres- HdrLogCap-
                HeaderLog: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
        Capabilities: [138 v1] Power Budgeting <?>
        Kernel driver in use: mpt3sas
        Kernel modules: mpt3sas

Right now I have 2 x 250GB SATA drives, RAID 1 for cache pool, but do not have it enabled as the files that are being written are 100GB each. So I don't believe it will keep up with it writing to drives after written to cache., or offer much of a speed improvement if the writes are constant. I was thinking of getting some cheap 1TB drives.

3 minutes ago, Hitman said:

2 x 250GB SATA drives, RAID 1 for cache pool, but do not have it enabled as the files that are being written are 100GB each. So I don't believe it will keep up with it writing to drives after written to cache.

It is impossible to move from fast cache to slow array as fast as you can write to fast cache. Mover is intended for idle time. If you need to write more than cache can hold at one time, don't cache.

For the initial data load, you can overcome the parity performance hit by not using parity until the initial load is complete.