Questions about Mover

bkastner
Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

• Solution

Remember that I said that is:

2 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Any files that are put into this folder will automatically be written to that disk and folder.  This will happen regardless of the Allocation method or the "Minimum Free Space" setting!   (In fact, the write can actually fail if the file is larger than the available space available on the drive.)

Let me put it another way:  The Split level parameter trumps both the Allocation method and the Minimum Free Space setting.  It is as if neither of these exists!

I do understand what you are saying, and believe it makes sense. It's just the odds that so few disks would be hammered that confuses me. Regardless... I will just let it go. I am almost done the refresh and will manually move files around to be more balanced and upate my split settings. 

On the split level question is it recommended to just split any directory, or select a specific different level?

12 hours ago, bkastner said:

On the split level question is it recommended to just split any directory, or select a specific different level?

There is no "right" answer to this.   If you do not care how files get split across drives in the array, then let any directory be split ad that requires the least supervision.  If that is not what you want, then you need to work out what value suits your requirements.   I personally use level 0 (manual control) as it happens to suit my work pattern and the way i organise my media, but many people use values in the low single figure range depending on how they organise their files.