jumping or skipping disk assignment order?

droopie
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

when adding drives to my server, i access them from the top down so the top drives get in the way. it holds 15 drives with 3 racks holding 5 each. in unraid, i have disks 1-8 so far but i want to skip 9-12 and start filling the last rack from the bottom up as to have easier access to connecting the drives. would it cause any issues if i leave disk 9-12 as unassigned and go backwards from disk 13?

im talking about this picture below but only up to disk 13. i want to assigned 13, then later on add assign disk 12 and so on. just want to ask if its will cause any issues with unraid if doing so.image.thumb.png.125ad4fb1c8487e2c841701fd97826f4.png

• Solution

Unraid does not mind if you leave gaps in the assigned drives.  Many people find it triggers their OCD, but as long as it does not worry you can leave the gaps in the assignments.   When you start the array only the disk slots that have drives assigned will be shown.

Just in case it is relevant it is worth pointing out that Unraid does not care how/where the drive is connected as drives are identified by their serial number.  There is therefore no reason that the assignments to disk slots have to match the physical layout if that is not convenient.

• Like 1