Intel video drivers/passthru

Was able to easily install and setup Nvidia for my Tdarr docker container by adding the 

Nvidia variable devices

variable into the container...works great!

I also have an intel CPU...I was poking around the net and found this
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/get-started-with-intel-oneapi-render-linux/top/configure-your-system.html
Which shows how to build the intel "rendering toolkit"

I am ok at linux, but have NO clue how to work with slackware

Was wondering if one of you guru's out there with a test/development box could have a go with this, possibly build the supporting drivers and make a docker package with this then maybe a variable for using intel variable devices might work?

Just an idea

Edited by WarHawk8080
7 hours ago, WarHawk8080 said:

Which shows how to build the intel "rendering toolkit"

I'm not sure what you want to do, do you want to pass through your Intel iGPU to a container?

If so just create a Device in the template like this:

grafik.png.8275d6ac85116bba712716cdf2754e60.png

As long as the container supports it you can then use your iGPU in the container.

Most containers on the CA App like Emby, Jellyfin, Plex, tdarr and Unmanic  support this AFAIK.

Just make sure that your iGPU is activated in the first place, you can make sure it's activated by installing the Intel-GPU-TOP Plugin (not the container) from the CA App.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 10:14 AM, ich777 said:

I'm not sure what you want to do, do you want to pass through your Intel iGPU to a container?

As long as the container supports it you can then use your iGPU in the container.

Most containers on the CA App like Emby, Jellyfin, Plex, tdarr and Unmanic  support this AFAIK.

Just make sure that your iGPU is activated in the first place, you can make sure it's activated by installing the Intel-GPU-TOP Plugin (not the container) from the CA App.

What about the upcoming Intel Arc Graphics cards ? 

14 minutes ago, PCR said:

What about the upcoming Intel Arc Graphics cards ? 

If the Kernel supports it they will be supported, this has strictly speaking nothing to do with Unraid and should be the same.

But I have to say that time will tell and depending on if I can get my hands on one I will try to test it but signs are not good that I get one in the near future.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
19 hours ago, dhendodong said:

Hi! ich is the unraid new kernel that support the intel arc still available to test? i just got my arc today and i was hoping i can test it we talked in reddit several months ago regarding the test build.

I have answered somewhere else I think already.

Until Intel ARK is fully supported under Linux a lot of work still needs to be done by Intel since, the drivers or better speaking the transcoding isn't anywhere near stable even on Windows.

The next thing is that if you want to use it for example in Emby, Jellyfin or Plex the Intel Media Drivers need to be updated first and from what I know this will take still some time...

21 hours ago, dhendodong said:

Hi! ich is the unraid new kernel that support the intel arc still available to test? i just got my arc today and i was hoping i can test it we talked in reddit several months ago regarding the test build.

Thanks!

Have you tried the beta drivers on Windows? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/729157/intel-arc-graphics-windows-dch-driver-beta.html

Don't passthru the audio, if  I passthru 04:00.0 whole system locks when VM stops.

image.thumb.png.bd4421691519c8b56371c673293fdf30.png

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, ich777 said:

Tried this but it's not working in the Nextcloud memories app (video transcoding).

On 12/24/2022 at 8:13 AM, ich777 said:

I have answered somewhere else I think already.

Until Intel ARK is fully supported under Linux a lot of work still needs to be done by Intel since, the drivers or better speaking the transcoding isn't anywhere near stable even on Windows.

The next thing is that if you want to use it for example in Emby, Jellyfin or Plex the Intel Media Drivers need to be updated first and from what I know this will take still some time...

It already works quite well. Perhaps it doesn't meet the highest standards for being considered stable, but there is a person called nyanmisaki who figured out how to get it work and with his help I have been able to use an unstable jellyfin build with no problems. I can even transcode 4k hevc movies with very high bitrates with no problem. I understand that this success may not scale to a wide userbase but individually I couldn't be happier.

Here is a link for anyone interested:

forums.unraid.net/topic/129027-intel-arc-support/page/5/#comment-1224845

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i tried to set up UNMANIC with my intel i5-8400 CPU. It works, but I think its too slow and the iGPU isnt working correctly.

I added the Device /dev/dri and typed in the extra Parameter "--device=/dev/dri".

Installed the Plugin "Video Encoder H265/HEVC - libx265 (CPU)" in Unmanic.

The CPU works hard nearly 95 Percent. But the iGPU does not show any working on the Dashboard in Unraid. A 1,3 GB File takes nearly 30 min for transcoding...

Have i missed something or did i do something wrong?

EDIT: Never mind. Had to change the Plugin to "Video Encoder H265/HEVC - hevc_qsv (Intel)". I think now it is working correctly. Same file now takes about 7 min and the CPU load is reduced wo about 35 percent.

Edited by p5lukas