Unable to enumerate USB device

dopeytree
Go to solution Solved by Squid,

I had some USB stick issues with my innitial build but then swapped to a new samsung USB stick and was all ok until a few days ago.

On system reboot I'm sometimes getting similar behaviour of where sometimes the usb stick is unrecognised by either the bios or will sometimes partial boot unraid but then hang at "Unable to enumerate USB device" 

Not sure if those are the same issue or 2 separate issues?

It's like it doesn't always recognise the USB stick. I have to remove the drive boot up with no usb stick power down then boot up again. Usually 2 or 3 times...

I'm using a a geuine "Samsung BAR Plus 32 GB Type-A 200 MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Champagne Silver (MUF-32BE3)"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CV9KCPN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which is reccomended by spaceinvader.

Also happen to be on 2nd motherboard as wanted better PCIe layout.

Only thing I can think of is maybe there's some odd USB power setting?

Does unraid have a list of officially tested sticks?

Or is it perhaps a problem related to the UPS's usb plug?

Not sure why that would cause the system to hang but there it is...

Once I get it to boot will post up some diagnostics.

Thanks

I'm on unraid 6.10.3

Motherboard: MSI MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI Gaming Motherboard, M-ATX

CPU: Intel i9-11900T (11th gen)

RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB)

GPU: Nvidia RTX A2000 6GB

PCIe: Expansion Card for ASMedia ASM1166 Master, PCI‑E to 6‑Port SATA3.0 Hard Disk, 6G ASM1166 Master GEN3 1 x Interface

Array: 12TB parity + 12TB disk 1 (XFS)

Cache: 2TB NVMe SSD x2 (BTRFS)

Cache2: 2TB Sata SSD x2  (BTRFS)

Case: Inovision NAS 8 bay case

PSU: Inovision 600w

Fans: Noctua fans

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S low profile

UPS: APC BK500ei 300w (UK version) with USB to RJ50 Data Cable

IMG_8257.thumb.jpg.bb4dadda6270e6a262fe81b4c2c7ac3c.jpg

Edited by dopeytree
  • Solution
3 hours ago, Lolight said:

It seems at the time of the review, spaceinvader wasn't quite aware of the USB 2 vs 3 situation as related to Unraid.

It's not Unraid per se, but the manufacturers of motherboards and devices themselves.

The timings etc on USB3 are more strict than on USB2 so the motherboards and devices (in particular) need to be higher quality.  Flash drives as an example are manufactured with the expectation that they will be lost.  If the manufacturer can save 1/10th of a cent on every stick made by substituting a different capacitor that *technically* hits the tolerances but may quickly degrade then it adds up to significant profit.

Lower tolerances = higher reliability.  Higher tolerances = lower reliability.  Q.E.D.

• Like 2

Thanks team. The error went away but does present itself every 4th / 5th bootup which is more often at the moment while I setup the system.

Managed to pickup 2x small usb2 drives so will in the future get them copied over - I've already swapped once so will have to email support for a swap.

At some point it will become hard to obtain usb2 drives - wonder what the future plan is?

Perhaps a tiny sata SSD 50GB or so (like in pfSense systems) but connected via USB?

Edited by dopeytree
19 hours ago, Squid said:

The timings etc on USB3 are more strict than on USB2 so the motherboards and devices (in particular) need to be higher quality.

I've used a utility named UsbTreeView to compare my Kingston DataTraveler (by Shenzhen ...) against Sandisk Cruiser Fit. https://github.com/MarkoMarjamaa/UsbTreeView

To my surprise I've found a big difference in the Demanded Current metric.

Have no idea what that means.

I've also noticed a big performance difference: Kingston is about twice as fast at writing.

P.S. found a site talking about demanded current:

"The first category is a USB device which draws 100 mA or less. This sort of device needs no switching because every device is allowed 100 mA as soon as it is plugged in. There used to be a rule that when the USB device was put to sleep, it would have to reduce its current below 100 mA, but so many devices failed to implement this correctly that USB 2 relaxed the rules significantly."

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Designing_USB_Devices_for_proper_current_and_MaxPower

Makes me wonder... If the drive's elevated current consumption (by design), combined with a failure to switch into the sleep mode is what makes USB drives fail prematurely.

Kingston.PNG

Sandisk.PNG

Edited by Lolight
  • Like 1

Also I have access to server but no array, dockers VM's etc as stuck waiting for new key... manual mentions about setting up a trial... but which files would I copy over to get access to my old server.. a blanket new trial wont have my apps or share info...

I.E which bit on the stick relates to the trial key and which bits can I just copy over from my USB backup..

Thanks.

Edited by dopeytree

I'm having the same issue now and I also have a Samsung 32gb usb stick. 

After each restart I have to take the usb stick out of the port and plug it into another port. Then boot into bios, change the boot priority and then it should work, but just now even that failed. 

Let us know how you get on with the new stick

Edited by bowets

Funny isn't it.. I went with samsung as they make most memory chips so thought they should be good but....

Happy to say I haven't had any issues since swapping to a USB 2 stick!

Support was pretty quick to reply with a new liscence code. A few hours. BUT if you're on your 2nd stick in a year you can do it all automatically yourself.

Am now using this: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive,Black

£7.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MPCJDXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't had any of those issues since.

Although it is sandisk (some say to avoid that brand as lots of fakes out there) as it is usb2 I think it should be ok.

Something did cause the system to lock up overnight but think that might have been a mixture of my PFsense router (firewall) crashing as trying out some new packet sniffing tools.

Unraid has been running pretty solid for 30days or so. 

I did swap the motherboard over but that was to fix the crappy PCIe layout on the gigabyte board.

I still had issues with USB boot with the samsung stick on the new MSI board.

It averages around 90watts for 2x 12tb drives, 2x 2tb nvmes & 2x 2tb sata SSDs.

I have another 2x 12tb drives ready to go as needed.

Edited by dopeytree
  • 3 months later...

I have the same problem with the Samsung BAR Plus 32 GB. Often Unraid fails on booting after shutdown or reboot.

I am using this stick in 4 different machines (bought at different times) as it had good test results in @SpaceInvaderOne's video. So far I am only having problems with 1 stick – so it might also be a weird stick failure.

Anyway, I will now also try the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0.

Yeah I started to get those .fsk errors (the files appear on the USB stick) which means usb corruption. I also changed my ram. The ram said it was ok in memtest but quite a few people say it pases the test but can still cause issues. 

Between changing the USB stick & RAM I have a stable system again. 

Edited by dopeytree
  • 1 month later...

I just had the same thing with the Samsung USB-Stick Typ-A BAR Plus. It seems to be related to USB 3.0 indeed as mentioned before, the fsck.fat fails whenever it is plugged in to any USB 3.0 Ports. After plugging it in to a USB 2.0 port it would boot everytime. 

I have also disabled fastboot in the BIOS settings. 

Hope that helps someone in here that has similar problems. 

• Like 1