Mover not working on files in no-longer-cached share

Osiris

Scenario:

1. one of your shares 'share1' has caching set to 'Yes' or 'Prefer'

2. that share has files in /mnt/cache/share1

3. You change the shares caching settings to 'No'

4. (manually or sheduled) run mover

Mover is no longer touching/treating the files of share1 on /mnt/cache and they will remain there forever.
However, if you remove them manually from /mnt/cache, the files will be gone.

Setting the cache again for a share and rerunning the mover -> files get moved.

edit: I reproduced this on both my unraid servers.
I finally figured out what was causing my full cache drive.

Guys, this is a massive bug, imho.

Edited by Osiris
  • Osiris changed the title to Mover not working on files in no-longer-cached share

Did you even read what I wrote?

You might as well have stated that the moon is the earth's moon.

I just pointed out an easily reproducable megabug and you answer in jibberish.

I found on the fora & on reddit a ton of people having too-frequent issues with the mover, so you might want to re-read this one.

Edited by Osiris

Sorry, but this is something you should definately catch & fix.

Setting caching to 'No' for a share should cause the next 'mover run' to move any remaining files in the cache for that share from the cache to the array.

PS: you remind me on our company's devs who often try to explain away bugs as 'working as designed' 😄

12 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Point out ONE of those cases to me, and I'll shut up ;-)

The one that has come up several times is when people deliberately WANT to keep some (but not all) files for a share on a fast SSD.  There have been scripts posted to achieve this.

what may not be obvious is that the Use Cache setting is specifically about what to do with NEW files.   For read purposes existing files can be found on any drive (regardless of user share settings) being managed by Unraid if they have the correct top level folder to make them part of a User Share

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

The one that has come up several times is when people deliberately WANT to keep some (but not all) files for a share on a fast SSD.  There have been scripts posted to achieve this.

Couldn't they simply manually create a folder then in /mnt/cache?

un-setting caching for a share could still 'tag' the cached files for that share to be moved on next run, while leaving manually created folders as is.

Far-fetched example, imho, and I'm sure you know this ;-)

I think more people have been fumbling about with a full cache drive than there are those that you describe.

Anyway, I did not read the behaviour I encountered described anywhere and I've been struggling to find this out on my own for years now.

Maybe just a note about this in the gui, somewhere next to the yes/no/prefer dropdown, could do wonders.

2 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Maybe just a note about this in the gui, somewhere next to the yes/no/prefer dropdown, could do wonders.

The mover behaviour IS displayed in the GUI alongside that setting.   You will see it changing as you change the setting.   One of the Unraid releases messed up the display of this additional text pushing it to the right so it was less obvious, but that should now be corrected.

It just says "mover takes no action" which really did not point me towards what I found out.

It would be cool that this description would be a bit more elaborate.

"Mover takes no action. Use mover before setting caching to no on previously cached share." would have saved me some sleepless nights.

Well, it's on the fora now. 

Hopefully this conversation will enlighten some other users of your product (which is by far the best solution for a homesystem, well worth its buck. And I've tried many. Kudos.).