6.11 update > EDID block 0 is all zeroes

Go to solution Solved by limetech,

This is one of a handful of challenges I'm facing since upgrading from 6.10.3 to 6.11. I'm starting with what I hope is low hanging fruit.

Since upgrading, my log is flooded with "kernel: EDID block 0 is all zeroes"

I have a supermicro X11SSH-F motherboard with an e3-1285v6. I hardware transcode with the i915 igpu for plex.

So far, I've tried recommendations in posts to blacklist the i915 driver (I don't know if this would disable HW transcoding in plex, but it don't work anyway) e.g.,

echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Reboot. Same errors.

I've also unplugged the kvm and replaced it with a vga dummy plug. Reboot. Same.

Any other ideas?

bukadoza-diagnostics-20220924-1154.zip

Edited by brandonhowlett
Added diagnostic file

I have a VGA monitor connected to my server.  It does not stop the errors which hit the log every 2 seconds

Sep 26 09:59:28 MediaNAS kernel: EDID has corrupt header
Sep 26 09:59:28 MediaNAS kernel: EDID block 0 is all zeroes

I have an AST (IPMI) on the server and iGPU in the E-2288G processor.  I can't blacklist either as I use iGPU for transcoding and AST for KVM access to server via IPMI.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon.  The problem was not present in 6.10.3 which was running previously on the server.

Same issue on my backup server which also has an iGPU and ASpeed chip for IPMI.  No monitor is plugged into that server as it is in a closet in the basement.  I guess I could try a dummy plug there but an attached monitor on main server does not prevent the errors.

8 hours ago, brandonhowlett said:

I can also confirm that attaching a monitor does not fix it.

Thanks anyway, @JorgeB.

Please go to Tools/System Devices and check the checkbox next to the ast device and then reboot and see if issue persists.  If so, try same thing with the Intel display adapter.  Checking the box for a device completely isolates it from the Linux kernel and we should be able to at least determine which is the culprit.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, limetech said:

Please go to Tools/System Devices and check the checkbox next to the ast device and then reboot and see if issue persists.  If so, try same thing with the Intel display adapter.  Checking the box for a device completely isolates it from the Linux kernel and we should be able to at least determine which is the culprit.

iGPU bound to VFIO = no EDID has corrupt header/EDID block 0 is all zeroes errors in syslog.

image.thumb.png.f8e27bb783aa0ceae253885b0cb99631.png

ASpeed bound to VFIO = EDID has corrupt header/EDID block 0 is all zeroes errors in syslog.

image.thumb.png.fc6d6ec74c7ee6535117087dc8a44af9.png

The iGPU in the case of my servers appears to be the culprit.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I'm facing the same issue on my Debian... after upgrading the kernel from 5.17.x to 5.19.17

I know it's not the same OS, but how did you patch the kernel to silent this log ?

I only have this king of log:

Dec  1 15:26:32  kernel: [21750.563946] EDID block 0 is all zeroes
Dec  1 15:26:33  kernel: [21750.795510] EDID block 0 is all zeroes
Dec  1 15:26:55  kernel: [21773.559925] EDID block 0 is all zeroes
Dec  1 15:26:56  kernel: [21773.790095] EDID block 0 is all zeroes
Dec  1 15:26:56  kernel: [21773.824563] EDID block 0 is all zeroes

Thank you for any helps