Corsair TX650W PSU

SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 controllers - controlling 16 drives

Parity drive: Hitachi HDS72202 - connected to motherboard

Drives: mix 6 - Hitachi HDS72202, 9 - WD EARS , and 3 - Samsung HD203WI

All WD EARS drives are jumpered

All 2TB drives

Norco 4224 case

unRaid version 4.5.6

The first 16 drives in the system are connected to the SuperMicro controllers. The spaces for the last 4 data drives and the parity drive are hooked up to the motherboard. I started having issues when I added the first WD EARS drive to the motherboard. System started having little issues and would no longer preclear drives. I could write and read that last drive with no issues. When I precleared another WD EARS drive on my other server and put it in this server then my write speeds to the data drive on the motherboard went down to 5 - 10 MB/sec where it had been 35 to 40 MB/sec before. I was also having issues getting a clean power down and the unit would run a parity check on reboot many times. I also started seeing sync issues and had one drive reported as bad yet when I ran a preclear on the bad drive it had no issues.

I changed motherboards, Norco cases, and reverse breakout cables trying to figure out why my system was acting strange and why my write speeds went down so far. I replaced the two WD drives connected to the motherboard with Hitachi drives and all has returned to normal. No more sync errors, write speed it back up to almost 40 MB/sec and the system seems to be booting up and powering down without issue anymore.

I have checked the AHCI setting and that is correct. My question is why would the WD drives only give me issues when they are hooked directly to the motherboard and not to the controllers. I had no issues at all until I added these drives to the motherboard. What could be the conflict?

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out and only when I replaced those WD drives on the motherboard did things go back to normal.

Any help or opinions are appreciated.

syslog-2011-06-17_tower2.txt