Files and folders disappeared from directory, yet avalible in CLI

tTownTom
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

In one spesific directory all subfolders and files are gone when trying to access them from Explorer/Finder/Nextcloud, however ls-ing into the directory using the commandline I see that all the files and folders are still there, all 13 gigs. cp-ing all files and folders to another share took about 2mins, and gave the same result: I can ls to see the files/folder, however Explorer reports the folder is empty.

I first encountered the issue after updating to UnraidOS 6.11.0 today.

Not saying the update is to blame, it's just the only thing I can think of that's changed since I last accessed the folder using Explorer.

Any pointers on how to access this content from anything other than the command line again?

Diagnotics are attached:

storestep-diagnostics-20220925-1200.zip

4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

@tTownTom  have you checked the permissions at the Linux level on the share and the files in it?  There have been a number of reports of permissions being wrong for network access and it only showing up after upgrading.

it might be worth posting your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread to see if anyone can spot something there.

Thanks for your suggestion!

The directory had rw for all users.
To test, I did a chmod -R 777 on the directory, now all the files are back 🤩
I don't reckon a 777 is a amazing solution, so I will be doing some more tests - but at least I can now access all files and folders again.

Thank you!

Just now, Frank1940 said:

On what directory/directories?   Could you provide us with the exact command that you use?   (I am suspecting that we will be seeing a lot more of these types of issues...)

The troubled directory was in this structure:
/mnt/user/<SHARE>/<DIRECTORY>

where everything within <DIRECTORY> was not accessable.

I ran the following command:
chmod -R 777 /mnt/user/<SHARE>/<DIRECTORY>

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, tTownTom said:

I ran the following command:
chmod -R 777 /mnt/user/<SHARE>/<DIRECTORY>

As a note to other folks who encounter this problem of permissions being wrong inside of a share.   Either the 'New Permissions" or "Docker Safe New Perms: tool should fix this problem as it does basically the same thing as @tTownTom's    chmod   command.  (IF you use the 'New Permissions" be sure to select only the share affected as that will shorten the time require to the process to finish.)

• Like 1