Conbee usb passthrough to an Home assistant VM

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

Checkout this thread :

And this thread has the answer:

You need to hack into the vm's xml - It works as described

* I removed the old hotplug usb addon and installed the usbmanager

* copy past the xml snippet into the vm's xml devices node

<serial type='dev'>
   <source path='/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_***-***'/>
   <target type='usb-serial' port='1'>
      <model name='usb-serial'/>
   </target>
   <alias name='serial1'/>
   <address type='usb' bus='0' port='4'/>
</serial>

* Hassio does not see it like you are used to but has the following format now: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-QEMU_QEMU_USB_SERIAL_1-****:**:**.*-*-****-port0  (something like that). I assume zigbee2mqtt see it the same since it's how the vm (qemu) sees it now. Without the snippet Hassio detected the stick but could not connect (resulting in timeouts)

* Also - not sure, but is the user that zigbee2mqtt is user allowed to access the serial port ?

Edited by sjoerd
  • 7 months later...

I am moving my home assistant installation to my unraid server running on a vm. I used the snap shot function to move the installation. After I found this thread Installed the usb manager to pass through my conbee II stick to the home assistant. The stick shows up in the deconz app config but in deconz it is not connected and I also can´t connect it. Any idea what I am missing?

Edit:

I solved the problem on my own. Of course all the information was allready there. Maybe a little bit scattered for a rookie like me but I got it together. What I got worong was the fact that you need both the plugin "USB Manager" as well as the modification to the xml file. 

So for other rookies here is the way I did it. Also I would kindly ask the professionals in this forum to check this solution for mistakes.

Get the plugin "USB Manager" and configure the conbee by clicking on the link in the first part of the line (marked in red).

USB-Manager.thumb.JPG.c796859ca14330054c97fab57e837e27.JPG

Configure it like in the next screen shot with the radio buttons toggled and assigned to the right vm.

USB-Manager-config.thumb.JPG.5b54f84ca904148fbd0481934158fe17.JPG

Then you need to get the id of your device by opening the console in unraid and type cd /dev/serial/by-id/, then enter. Next type ls. The part behind the "DE" except for the "@" is your id. You will need this in the next step.

conbee-id.JPG.ebc217bdad9f75c336e6d42714c8e9c1.JPG

Edit your vm and toggle the xml view with the switch in the top right. Then search for the part where it says " </interface> " and after that put: 

<serial type='dev'>
      <source path='/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2XXXXXX-XXXX'/>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial1'/>
    </serial>

with your device id behind the "_Conbee_II_DE".

xml-config.JPG.5763a3702026a5c8d6ea6fcb4d7e1b92.JPG

Apply the changes and start the vm. Now you can enter the home assistant webserver and configure the deconz plugin by selecting your conbee stick and restart the plugin.

Edited by Erik Weisbrod
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3
  • 8 months later...
On 4/28/2023 at 3:25 PM, Erik Weisbrod said:

I am moving my home assistant installation to my unraid server running on a vm. I used the snap shot function to move the installation. After I found this thread Installed the usb manager to pass through my conbee II stick to the home assistant. The stick shows up in the deconz app config but in deconz it is not connected and I also can´t connect it. Any idea what I am missing?

Edit:

I solved the problem on my own. Of course all the information was allready there. Maybe a little bit scattered for a rookie like me but I got it together. What I got worong was the fact that you need both the plugin "USB Manager" as well as the modification to the xml file. 

So for other rookies here is the way I did it. Also I would kindly ask the professionals in this forum to check this solution for mistakes.

Get the plugin "USB Manager" and configure the conbee by clicking on the link in the first part of the line (marked in red).

USB-Manager.thumb.JPG.c796859ca14330054c97fab57e837e27.JPG

Configure it like in the next screen shot with the radio buttons toggled and assigned to the right vm.

USB-Manager-config.thumb.JPG.5b54f84ca904148fbd0481934158fe17.JPG

Then you need to get the id of your device by opening the console in unraid and type cd /dev/serial/by-id/, then enter. Next type ls. The part behind the "DE" except for the "@" is your id. You will need this in the next step.

conbee-id.JPG.ebc217bdad9f75c336e6d42714c8e9c1.JPG

Edit your vm and toggle the xml view with the switch in the top right. Then search for the part where it says " </interface> " and after that put: 

<serial type='dev'>
      <source path='/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2XXXXXX-XXXX'/>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial1'/>
    </serial>

with your device id behind the "_Conbee_II_DE".

xml-config.JPG.5763a3702026a5c8d6ea6fcb4d7e1b92.JPG

Apply the changes and start the vm. Now you can enter the home assistant webserver and configure the deconz plugin by selecting your conbee stick and restart the plugin.

Worked like a charm, thank you 🙏

• 3 months later...

I have tried this but it still wont configure ZHA. My settings

image.thumb.png.be711d8c1bc403af4dae1017b43163bb.png

I couldn't figure outif i should setup the usb icon or the screen icon. Both have the same values. With
Connect as Serial Guest Port Number: 4

Then vm xaml:

<serial type='dev'>
      <source path='/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2132783-if00'/>
      <target type='usb-serial' port='4'>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial1'/>
    </serial>

<serial type='dev'>
      <source path='/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_Dxxxxxf00'/>
      <target type='usb-serial' port='4'>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial1'/>
    </serial>

Not 100% sure which port to use for target and adress.

In home assistant HA finds:
/dev/ttyUSB0 - QEMU USB SERIAL, s/n: 1-0000:00:07.7-4 - QEMU

Not sure if it is the correct thing but it does not work at least.

Aything obvious error I make?

Btw is the "USB manager hotplug" part of usb manager, I saw a reference of someone "removing it" but I can't find it as a separate plugin I have installed:
image.thumb.png.92ad61fc3cc2943309311a687037f5b7.png

Edited by Todilo