Does Unraid support Apple Silicon? Or will support it in future?

sheiy

There isn't even a single production-ready alternative OS available for AS at this point, so even if that became a goal it certainly wouldn't happen before many years and would depend on a whole lot of other projects being successful at porting Linux to AS.

Not to mention that such a machine can only connect storage externally, which has always been not recommended for Unraid.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:33 AM, Kilrah said:

There isn't even a single production-ready alternative OS available for AS at this point, so even if that became a goal it certainly wouldn't happen before many years and would depend on a whole lot of other projects being successful at porting Linux to AS.

Not to mention that such a machine can only connect storage externally, which has always been not recommended for Unraid.

You can run linux on m1 right now....

There wasn't any sort of real OS on a NAS box either but that's not the point.  ARM support would be the logical next step.

Edited by FlyingTexan
1 hour ago, FlyingTexan said:

You can run linux on m1 right now....

The only one I know of is Asahi and that's in alpha with still a bunch of things not working, hence me saying "nothing production-ready".

ARM may be the future but if it happens and gets mainstream support it likely won't be something made by Apple that's undocumented and where the manufacturer has no desire for anything else to run on it...

18 hours ago, Kilrah said:

it likely won't be something made by Apple

I would say, this for sure!

How many developers abandoned their projexts because of continuous apple changes, and not for profitable advantages for the end user, but just for locking more their systems...you have no idea of how many wireless dongles I changed in 5 years, just because they weren't working in minor os revisions.

Want to buy apple?just use with its software and take into account that apple software support will end very fast, apple business is selling hardware, remember...

Edited by ghost82
  • 10 months later...

Are there any plans to even test Unraid to work on apple ARM systems? There are some versions of linux being made for the M1. Is it anything being considered?

The idea of a mac with apple silicon is really cool for particular scenarios. I could definitely imagine using a Mac Studio as a niche server for ultra fast read/write on projects as well as video encoding and some procedural stuff that mac's do well.

I think its definitely worth developing.