Issue with initial boot / installation

gstoilov

Hello all,

Very first post here. I am trying to boot the unRaid 6 on my tower server for the first time but after several attempts there seems to be a persistent error. Virtualization is enabled, main BOOT drive is the USB drive.

I captured a video of the whole booting process as well as a screenshot of the final screen.

Link to the video in GDrive (too large to upload here):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kb5B8lo5Su3h7G0xVB8zUdTg89ao_BpL/view?usp=sharing

Can you provide me with an assistance? If you need I will share hardware specs or any necessary info.

Thanks!

IMG_20220927_155357.jpg

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Also try a different flash drive. 

11 hours ago, trurl said:

Have you tried another port? USB2 ports may be more reliable for this.

16 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Tried three different flash drives, used three different USB port (both 2.0 and 3.0), blacklisted i915 both in /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf and in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and still got the same results. Even removed the WIndows 10 (replaced it w/ Ubuntu).

Anyone got other ideas to try?

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Double check you're doing it correctly following the instructions linked above, you could also bind the the iGPU to VFIO-PCI, but since Unraid doesn't boot you'd need to boot with a different Linux to get the device list.

Any tips on how to bind them?

I got Ununtu installed already.

Type in the Ubuntu console:

lspci -nn

It will list all the devices, then note the vendor/device ID from the iGPU, example:

imagem.png

Then edit /syslinux/syslinux.cfg on the Unraid flash drive and add the correct vendor/device ID to the append line vfio-pci.ids=xxxx:xxxx, example

label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot

Becomes

label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot vfio-pci.ids=1002:515e

The see if the boots.