Realtek RTL8125 connection Issue with 6.11

Joeh

Before you go ahead an type below... the fix regarding blacklisting r8169 Doesn't not work for this.

Please read issue below as this seems to go Deeper.

So I've upgraded from 6.10.3 to 6.11

I have 2 Ethernet ports on my Motherboard (Both built in.. not addition pcie slot)

I have a Intel I219-V 1gb connection which is working fine (Have been using as my general access connection)

I also have a Realtek RTL8125 connection (Which i've used as my direct connection for uploads)

Since upgrade to 6.11 That connection is not visible on my Main page or in my Network Settings.

I've checked my Hardware Profiles and can see it present but unlike when i was on 6.11 It has no driver allocation.

I've attached my Diag file for this here as well.

In the File you can see 00:1f.6 (Intel connection) has a Devicename and Kernal Drivers assigned..

But my 03:00.0 (Realtek Connection) is lacking those 2 fields.

This is not a hardware issue as i can downgrade to 6.10.3 and this realtek connection will appear in unraid and be usable.

I can only guess this is an OS issue.

Does anyone have Any idea's or is this gonna be a Wait for a Patch or Version upgrade for this to be fixed??

lspci.txt

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller [10ec:8125] (rev 04) Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller [1462:7c81] Kernel modules: r8169

Kernel module is being found and I looked at tbe code and it includes support for 8125. Do you have any error messages in the syslog for this nic?

Edited by SimonF

Then only reference to this i can find in syslog is this:

Sep 26 12:30:57 Tower kernel: pci 0000:03:00.0: [10ec:8125] type 00 class 0x020000
Sep 26 12:30:57 Tower kernel: pci 0000:03:00.0: reg 0x10: [io  0x3000-0x30ff]
Sep 26 12:30:57 Tower kernel: pci 0000:03:00.0: reg 0x18: [mem 0xa1200000-0xa120ffff 64bit]
Sep 26 12:30:57 Tower kernel: pci 0000:03:00.0: reg 0x20: [mem 0xa1210000-0xa1213fff 64bit]
Sep 26 12:30:57 Tower kernel: pci 0000:03:00.0: supports D1 D2
Sep 26 12:30:57 Tower kernel: pci 0000:03:00.0: PME# supported from D0 D1 D2 D3hot D3cold

I've attached the syslog as well incase i missed something

syslog.txt

58 minutes ago, SimonF said:

which motherboard do you have? its b460 tomo.

lastest bios is 2022-06-17 looks like yours is 2020 cannot see why nic not found.

No idea.. Like i said.. It works inside of 6.10.3 but not 6.11 which tells me its something to do with a change in this update.

Its not a huge issue for myself as im getting a PCIE 10gbe card soon but other people might find this issue and unless someone reports this.. It won't be fixed.

• 1 month later...

I've seen some conflicting info on this issue. I can say with 6.11.3 the Realtek RTL8125 is working for me and it doesn't seem to matter if there's a suffix to the chip part number (i.e. RTL8125B, RTL8125BG, sometimes known as "Dragon" etc.). I've tried a variety of hardware. Sometimes the driver seems slow to initially sort out the connection but once past that it seems to work fine.

Using iperf3 I've verified consistent 2.4 Gbit speeds which is the same as I get with an Intel I225V 2.5Gb interface for the many who love to hate on Realtek. All things being equal I'd rather have Intel but the fact is the Realtek interface is FAR more common both on motherboards and reasonably priced NICs. And, in the real world, they seem to deliver similar performance. I can say I've been unable to get a RTL8125 based USB3 interface to work but that didn't surprise me and is likely a bad idea regardless.

As others have pointed out here, 2.5Gb is going to become a relatively dominant standard for most wired networking with consumer grade gear. While Unraid's write performance directly to an array is fairly miserable, and below 1 Gbit ethernet even with turbo write enabled, with SSD cache or to a pool, an Unraid server greatly benefits from 2.5 Gb ethernet. Even spinning drives can sustain 220 MB/sec on their outer tracks which is nearly twice what 1 Gbit ethernet can manage.

Hopefully Unraid and Slackware will prioritize 2.5 Gbit and 10 Gbit ethernet going forward as faster ethernet hardware becomes common.

5 hours ago, dev_guy said:

Hopefully Unraid and Slackware will prioritize 2.5 Gbit and 10 Gbit ethernet going forward as faster ethernet hardware becomes common.

The driver development is on Realtek side. They submit what they submit to the linux kernel.

There is only so much Limetech can do if the driver is not working properly for every chip.

36 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

The driver development is on Realtek side. They submit what they submit to the linux kernel.

There is only so much Limetech can do if the driver is not working properly for every chip.

Yeah, I assumed as much that's why I mentioned Slackware. Interestingly, I've seen references Intel is dropping support for FreeBSD in some cases including never providing drivers for their I225V 2.5 Gb ethernet interface (the only 2.5 Gb Intel option I've seen used). So FreeBSD based applications, like TrueNAS Core and pfSense, are currently at the mercy of Intel and can only support Realtek for 2.5 Gb. For everyone who thinks Intel is the safer choice, that's changing. At least Realtek still supports FreeBSD which is more than Intel can be bothered to do. I don't know much about the Slackware kernel but do wish Unraid was Debian based like TrueNAS Scale which tends to have the best driver support for consumer and small business hardware in the Linux world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, dev_guy said:

Yeah, I assumed as much that's why I mentioned Slackware. Interestingly, I've seen references Intel is dropping support for FreeBSD in some cases including never providing drivers for their I225V 2.5 Gb ethernet interface (the only 2.5 Gb Intel option I've seen used). So FreeBSD based applications, like TrueNAS Core and pfSense, are currently at the mercy of Intel and can only support Realtek for 2.5 Gb. For everyone who thinks Intel is the safer choice, that's changing. At least Realtek still supports FreeBSD which is more than Intel can be bothered to do. I don't know much about the Slackware kernel but do wish Unraid was Debian based like TrueNAS Scale which tends to have the best driver support for consumer and small business hardware in the Linux world.

Debian and slackware have nothing to do with it. Limetech maintains their own kernels for unraid and they are much fresher than both Slackware and Debian. The latest in unraid 6.11 is 5.19. It is up to the driver vendors (or linux community in the case of community made drivers) to get their drivers mainlined with the kernel. 

1 minute ago, JSE said:

Debian and slackware have nothing to do with it. Limetech maintains their own kernels for unraid and they are much fresher than both Slackware and Debian. The latest in unraid 6.11 is 5.19. It is up to the driver vendors (or linux community in the case of community made drivers) to get their drivers mainlined with the kernel. 

No argument but there have been issues with support for the Realtek RTL8125 family of 2.5Gb ethernet interfaces lagging behind in Unraid as documented at the start of this thread. Many popular Linux distros supported the RTL8125 before Unraid did. I was trying to be helpful especially in explaining how Realtek may be a better choice than Intel in some cases. 

10 minutes ago, dev_guy said:

No argument but there have been issues with support for the Realtek RTL8125 family of 2.5Gb ethernet interfaces lagging behind in Unraid as documented at the start of this thread. Many popular Linux distros supported the RTL8125 before Unraid did. I was trying to be helpful especially in explaining how Realtek may be a better choice than Intel in some cases. 

Nah I get it, the problem is a lot of those distros are using out of tree drivers which can be a huge burden to maintain and often interfere with other drivers and/or break after a kernel upgrade if they're not well maintained. So it's not as clear cut in unraids case where the maintenance burden is too high to support every possible NIC out there. This is really a realtek specific issue for not having proper mainline drivers.

Edited by JSE
  • Like 2